Student assaulted, robbed at gunpoint

A male University student was robbed at gunpoint last night outside Courtenay dormitory, University Police said. Police said either one or two assailants were involved.

The student was robbed of his wallet and possibly some jewelry, Sgt. Tom Durrer said. Durrer said he did not have a physical description of the suspects by 11 p.m., press time.

The assailant was in possession of "some type of handgun," Durrer said, but no one was hurt.

Police said no arrests had been made by press time.

After the incident, police entered Courtenay and neighboring dorms seeking information from residents.

"We talk to everyone to see if they saw anything," Durrer said.

Durrer did not know what time the incident occurred, but first-year College student Derek Moore said police entered his suite around 9:10 p.m.

One eye witness saw three men scuffling outside Courtenay.

"I thought it was just a fight," the witness said.

The witness, speaking on condition of anonymity, saw "two black guys kicking another black guy on the ground."

The witness said the attackers told the victim "you've got about five seconds to get out of here" and the victim fled towards the woods. The "other guys just walked up that road like it was no big deal."

The witness said the attackers then continued on foot down Alderman Road past Scott Stadium.

The "other guys just walked up [Alderman Road] like it was no big deal," the witness said.

The witness was not sure if the assailants were students.

"I don't think the guys were University students. They looked really big," the witness said.

The witness was not shocked by the incident.

"I was just waiting for someone to get robbed," the witness said. "It's kind of scary because we live so far away."

Another witness, also speaking on condition of anonymity, saw the assailants running away and agreed Courtenay's isolated location concerns some residents.

"It's hidden, sort of, with all the trees," the second witness said.

Residence Life Co-Chair Esther Adams said resident advisors always are mindful of maintaining safety in dormitory areas.

"We just want all our residents to be safe," Adams said.

She confirmed that resident advisors in the area asked that all students lock their doors and not prop them open following the incident.