Gore edges out Bradley for key primary victory

CONCORD, N.H.--Vice President Al Gore (D) narrowly defeated rival Democratic candidate Bill Bradley by only five percentage points in yesterday's New Hampshire primary, edging further ahead of the former New Jersey senator in the quest to capture the Democratic presidential nomination.

The contest was so close that both candidates claimed victory, even though the results showed Gore won 52 percent to 47 percent, with 97 percent of precincts reporting.

Gore chose to portray this as a come-from-behind victory, saying recent polling had predicted an even closer race.

Bradley described the results as important progress for his campaign against the Democratic frontrunner.

Gore spoke triumphantly to supporters at his headquarters in Manchester.

"We're going to march all the way down the field, from state to state, coast to coast, and all the way to victory," he said.

Bradley also was pleased with the New Hampshire results. After trailing behind Gore in previous polls, he seemed optimistic as he looked forward to next month's primaries in South Carolina. With his high reserves of campaign funds, Bradley is less dependent on New Hampshire results than typical underdogs.

"We have made a remarkable turn around, but there is still a tough fight ahead," Bradley said from his Manchester headquarters.

Both candidates said the New Hampshire results will help them gain momentum as they go into next month's primaries.

Among Gore supporters in New Hampshire, many focused on his health care issues.

"I liked his health care plan," said Lucas Pauliot, a Democrat from Bascawen.

The majority of voters that supported Gore, however, tended to focus on his legacy with the Clinton administration.

"I like the way the government has been run," Boscawen resident Steven Minor said. "I hope he keeps it the same way."

Other supporters echoed this sentiment, hoping Gore will keep the country functioning under the status quo.

"With the present administration we've had a good economy," said Skip Calley, a Democrat from Concord. "I want to stick with what's been good."

Gore's experience in public office also helped sway voters over to his camp.

"He's prepared for the job and understands how the system works," Concord resident Gaill Wolek said.

"He has good background and good experience and knows a lot about what is going on," said Deb Davis, a Democrat from Concord.

In general, Gore's supporters said he was "more qualified for the job," Concord resident Karen Smith said.

Bradley supporters said they believed their candidate, as opposed to Gore, had the right stance on certain issues.

"I liked his thoughts about military spending," Concord resident Emily Burr said.

Bradley supporters' main concerns, however, did not center on the candidate's views but on his morals. This falls right in step with Bradley's campaign strategy, which portrays him as the candidate with integrity.

"I think his morals are more clear than the Clinton-Gore administration," said Donna Fink, a Democrat from Concord.

Many other Bradley supporters wanted to change the present administration.

"We just need to get new people in there," Boscawen resident Brendan Casey said.

"I think we need a big change," said Brenda Worster, a Democrat from Concord. Bradley "seems very honest and very trusting"