Legislators to consider new research park

The University may build a new research park on the Blue Ridge Hospital property if the General Assembly passes a bill introduced Monday.

The legislation also includes plans to lease 32 of the hospital's 159 acres to the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation for a new tourism and visitors center.

U.Va. Foundation CEO Tim Rose said the University has not determined yet what types of research will be conducted in the proposed facilities.

But Leonard W. Sandridge, University executive vice president and chief operating officer, said he expects the new park to attract the same types of companies that work in the University's other research parks at North Fork and Fontaine.

"The kinds of companies that have tended to be interested in dealing with the University in the past are information technology, biotechnology and engineering," Rose said.

Del. John H. Rust (R-Fairfax) introduced the bill to the General Assembly at Gov. James S. Gilmore III's (R) request. Both Del. Mitch Van Yahres (D-Charlottesville) and Del. Paul Harris (R-Albemarle) are cosponsors of the legislation.

The location of the property -- near Monticello -- makes it ideal for the project, Rose said.

Van Yahres said he agreed to cosponsor the bill because "it could and will benefit Monticello, the community and the University."

Officials said converting the area into a research park may help in earning more research grants for the University.

"The University currently has very large research programs that are dependent on high quality space and collaboration with industry as well," Sandridge said. "The University is always trying to be prepared for future space needs."

Monticello officials said they are happy to participate in the project, which they said benefits both the University and their foundation.

"It's a good thing when our goals and those of the University come together," Monticello spokeswoman Whitney Espich said.

Although Monticello's tourism and visitors center will be on the same property, Espich said it will be separate from the research park.

Building the center there is "really just a way to use the area since it's a very large area," she said.

Van Yahres said he does not anticipate any problems gaining support for the measure in the General Assembly.

If the bill passes, University officials hope to begin construction on the site promptly.

Sandridge said construction probably will span the next five to 15 years.