Bliley brings congressional expertise to BOV

(This is the third article in a three-part weekly series about the new Board of Visitors members.)

Although the U.S. Congress soon will lose one of its most prominent members, the University's Board of Visitors will benefit from the loss.

Gov. James S. Gilmore III (R) appointed Rep. Thomas J. Bliley (R-7) to the Board March 28, as well as Connecticut businessman Charles L. Glazer and Richmond attorney Gordon F. Rainey Jr.

Bliley now represents 11 counties and the western parts of Richmond in Congress, but he announced last month he will not seek reelection after his term ends in December. He has served in the House of Representatives since 1980.

"I had never planned to serve forever," Bliley said. "Twenty years is a long time."

Bliley has served as Chairman of the House Committee on Commerce, one of the House's most powerful and influential committees, for three consecutive terms. He is also an ex-officio member of the five Commerce Committee subcommittees.

Under his leadership, the Committee "made significant strides in improving patients' access to life-saving drugs and medical devices and making prescription drugs more affordable for seniors," said Richard Burr, Committee member and North Carolina congressman (R-5).

Bliley, who attended Georgetown University as an undergraduate, will bring national contacts and an outsider's perspective to the Board, University Rector John P. Ackerly III said.

"Sometimes [non-alumni] can be more objective about things," Ackerly said. "They bring different insight."

Former Board member Champ Clark, whose term ended in March, was previously the only non-University alumnus on the Board.

Bliley will serve on the Board's Health Affairs Committee, External Affairs Committee and the Committee on the College at Wise, the University's satellite campus in southwest Virginia.

He said although he does not have experience working with the University, he "expect[s] to get up to speed as soon as possible."

He added that several Board members have briefed him on "where things are at the moment" in the University community.

Bliley began his political career in 1968 with his election to the City Council of Richmond, where he has been a lifelong resident. He also served as the city's vice-mayor for two years and mayor for seven years.

He has served as president of Joseph W. Bliley Funeral Homes, a family business that has existed for 125 years. Bliley said through his experience at the funeral home, he gained valuable business expertise that may help on the Board.