TV Monitor: A salute to the supportings

We know their faces, we remember their lines, we sometimes even know their real-life names. But invariably, we take what they do for granted. Well, that's not going to happen today. To all the great supporting actors of the television world, I salute you!

The aim here is not to write about the really famous supporting actors, like David Hyde Pierce and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who get Emmys bestowed to them and earn several hundred thousand dollars a week. Instead, I am here to applaud those who have gone unheralded.

I'll start off with Hyde Pierce's "Frasier" co-star, John Mahoney. For seven seasons now, he has played Martin Crane, a role 15 years (and a generation) his senior, with equal parts of crust and tenderness. At the same time, Peri Gilpin's Roz has flourished in the two years since her character had a child. Pierce and star Kelsey Grammer are the ones who usually enjoy kudos; it's time we spread the wealth around.

While we love Lisa Kudrow's flighty Phoebe, it's Matt LeBlanc who has done the best job sustaining his lovable dim-bulb Joey over the last six years of "Friends." Each week he finds new reasons for the narcissistic out-of-work actor he plays to endear himself to fans. We've come to depend on you, Mr. LeBlanc, because you've always been there for us.

"ER," in the meantime, only has seen one of the 15 actors who have appeared in its opening credits this season pump some life into the flat-lining drama: Laura Innes. Her unsympathetic portrayal of hard-nosed Dr. Kerry Weaver has grounded the show for years; but Innes topped herself this February as she fought to save the lives of two co-workers and the reputation of the ER all at once.

NBC isn't the only station to enjoy such support. As "Beverly Hills, 90210" prepares to bid adieu after a decade, I must pay tribute to Ian Ziering. As Steve Sanders, a smooth operator with a heart of gold, Ziering has long been the show's not-so-secret comedic weapon. Fans of the show will miss him most of all.

Let's not forget the cable networks either. Acting legend Nancy Marchand stands out among "The Sopranos," a role so popular that writers opted not to kill off her character at the end of last season. Unfortunately, the stroke they gave her instead has limited her appearances. Now there's a real crime. And Lynn Redgrave continues to enjoy her career renaissance with her turn as the alcoholic mother in Showtime's "Rude Awakening."

One of the most pleasant surprises was this season's crop of kids. Leading the parade is Heather Matarazzo, great as the awkward teenage daughter getting over her father's death on CBS' "Now and Again."

Another prodigy at play is Julia Whelan, the fragile Grace on ABC's "Once and Again." It's a performance so true (and so unlike all the WB names and faces that run together) that teens and adults alike have to empathize. On the same show, Susanna Thompson flirts with perfection as Karen, the other ex-wife, balances her job, raising two children and falling in love with a younger man.

I also give Michael Boatman ("Spin City") and Bill Brochtrup ("NYPD Blue") credit for playing gay characters with a great amount of dignity. They're a nice contrast to the flamboyant (but nonetheless inspired) Sean P. Hayes of "Will and Grace," who made "Just Jack!" the catchphrase of the season. The rapport between Hayes and co-star Megan Mullally makes them this year's truly dynamic duo.

Finally, and though she only appeared on a handful of CBS' "Cosby" episodes this season, I salute the late Madeline Kahn. The versatile actress-comedienne always made us laugh, but Kahn also always made us feel welcome. Like any great supporting player, she will always have a place in our hearts.