New first-year dorm not expected to open until middle of semester

Construction delays on a new first-year residence hall will force some incoming first years to accommodate up to three people in their dorm rooms. Students will not be able to move into Woody House, the new residence hall in the Alderman Road area, until around November 15.

The first years assigned to Woody House temporarily will live in other residence halls, mainly in the suites of the other Alderman Road dorms, before moving into their permanent residence in the late fall.

• Information on Woody House
  • University Housing Division
  • Facilities Management
  • Residence Life
  •  

About Thaddeus Woody

The new residence hall is named in honor of the late University French and Spanish Professor Thaddeus Braxton Woody.

University President John T. Casteen III chose Woody's name from a list of suggestions from the University Names Committee, according to Board of Visitors secretary Alexander S. "Sandy" Gilliam. Casteen himself was taught by Woody in the 1960s.

Woody played a decisive role in allowing women to study at the University. During his term as an assistant dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, then-President Edgar F. Shannon Jr. selected him to chair a committee to investigate the possibility of coeducation at the University.

According to a memorial resolution drawn up by Mary B. McKinley, chair of the department of French Language and Literature, Woody "had not been a supporter of coeducation, but he conducted a thorough review, and in November 1968 he and his committee recommended rescinding restrictions on admitting women to the College."

The resolution also stated that Woody "was known as a demanding taskmaster, but one who was never too busy to devote individual attention to his students."

Former Faculty Senate Chairman David T. Gies said Woody set up a fund to give awards to undergraduate French and Spanish scholars.

Gies said Woody possessed great "mental acuity" through his 90s, and McKinley noted that the French and Spanish professor would often go to events at the French House and socialize with faculty and students.

Woody grew up in Petersburg and earned his bachelor's from the University in 1928. He later studied at the University of Puerto Rico, the Sorbonne in France and Indiana University. He taught at Indiana and Northwestern universities before returning to the University, where he taught until 1971.

Woody was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Kappa, the Raven Society and the Jefferson Literary and Debating Society.

Woody passed away in January at the age of 98.

Jo Lawson from Facilities Management said Woody House residents will receive both a temporary room and roommate assignment and a permanent assignment.

Brochures and letters of explanation about the situation were mailed to first-year students the week of July 10, Doherty said.

"We're sending out information, a description of the triple situation, and images of the new residence hall," he said. "The worst thing is to surprise people -- our duty is to get as much information out as possible."

Since mailing the information, the housing office has received some questions, "particularly from students and parents in town for orientation."

The students who are assigned to the triples were randomly chosen from the students who indicated they wanted to live in the Alderman Road residence area, he added.

Incoming first-year Leigh Bladergroen from Richmond said the temporary arrangements for the Woody House residents may be inconvenient for a while.

"I think it's obviously not going to make people happy," Bladergroen said. "Maybe the school should have planned a little better, but it's only through November and not the whole year."

The University is constructing Woody House in order to accommodate growing numbers of first years over the past few years, Doherty said.

Lawson said the new residence hall will resemble Cauthen House in the Alderman area in many ways, including having air conditioning.

"We've been told that Cauthen is a good residence hall," Doherty said. "The most notable exception will be no computer labs and no first-year resource center like in Cauthen, but we will keep the large study lounge and two smaller study lounges on each floor" like Cauthen has, Doherty said.

The Resident Staff members who eventually will live in Woody will live in the Alderman suites as well, doubling up with the permanent Resident Advisors until Woody House is open, according to Doherty.

"Sure there will be complaints, but for the most part there will be questions," Doherty said.

He said a Web site providing information on Woody House is under construction and soon will be up as a link from the Facilities Management Web site.

Floorplan of the first floor (other floors are similar)

From UVA Housing Division