University Provost Low to resign in July

University Vice President and Provost Peter W. Low will step down when his appointment ends in July and return to teaching at the Law School. University President John T. Casteen III announced Low's departure at Friday's Faculty Senate retreat.

His decision comes in the wake of four other high-profile resignations from the University administration within the last six weeks. Law School Dean Robert Scott announced his resignation in early August, and College Dean Melvyn P. Leffler announced last week that he will step down to accept a position at Oxford University. University Police Chief Mike Sheffield and Senior Vice President Ernie Ern both announced their retirements in late August.

Low's seven years in the provost's office is the second-longest term for that position in University history. In 1955, David Shannon retired after 10 years.

Online Exclusive
  • The Many Changing Faces of UVA
  •  

Although he has enjoyed his years in administration, teaching law is his first love, Low said. Low joined the Law School faculty in 1964.

"I am first an academic, not an administrator," he said. "The administration has been my life for the last seven years, but it is not my career path."

Low began his tenure in January 1994, when he was appointed interim provost for an initial six-month term. Casteen then offered him a five-year term.

His original appointment ended last year, but Casteen asked him to serve two more years to finish out the $1 billion Capital Campaign. Although the Campaign has met its goal, it does not officially end until December.

As provost, Low is responsible for all academic units at the University except the School of Medicine and Nursing School. He oversees promotions and tenures of faculty, dean searches, personnel matters, school budgets, the libraries and the Bayly Art Museum.

"He tries to get money for things," Faculty Senate Chairwoman Patricia H. Werhane said. "If he says no, it's probably a really lousy idea."

Law School Dean Robert Scott, who has worked with Low both as an administrator and law professor, said Low is "the finest administrator I've ever seen and I've seen quite a few."

Unlike many top administrators, Low does not actively raise funds for the Capital Campaign, instead funneling revenue to various departmental projects.

Casteen said Low also "has been solid on student issues, including issues of special concern to minority students and women."

As for his own accomplishments, Low said he has difficulty judging how well he has done.

"At the end of the day, that's for others to judge," he said.

(Cavalier Daily Associate Editor Abby Curran contributed to this article.)