Virginia basketball teams open season with midnight celebration

Two weeks ago, college basketball fans around the country celebrated the imminent arrival of the 2000-01 season at their respective Midnight Madness extravaganzas. Tonight at University Hall, Virginia hoops fans will get their chance to see the Cavaliers in action for the first time since March, when 'Hoos in the Hall kicks off at 11 p.m.

Following an hour of general entertainment and merriment, the men's and women's teams take the floor at midnight. Activities include a student slam dunk contest (on a nine-foot hoop), a step show, Frisbee dogs, a comedian and a Biltmore "thumbs and toes" eating contest. Several prizes will be given out as well, including a free spring break trip, ski passes and free dinner certificates. The first 500 fans will receive a free T-shirt.

After midnight the players will participate in a dunk contest and a three-point shooting contest. Men's coach Pete Gillen and women's coach Debbie Ryan will address the fans at the end of the night.

• href="http://www.cavalierdaily.com/reference_pages/sports/mbball/">CD Online Men's Basketball Coverage

• href="http://www.cavalierdaily.com/reference_pages/sports/wbball/">CD Online Women's Basketball Coverage

• href="http://insidersreport.rivals.com/">Insiders Report, an independent athletic news site

• "This gives the students an opportunity to look at the players and the team for the coming year," men's assistant coach Tom Herrion said. "Last year, we had tremendous fan support which gave the players a positive feeling, leading to our success at home. This year we are ranked in several Top 25 publications, but for us to achieve success it is crucial that we have student support."

Admission is free and doors open at 10:30 p.m. Bus shuttles will run from the Alderman Road stop near the Aquatic & Fitness center beginning at 9 p.m.

Recruiting bonanza

Virginia fans will not be the only ones watching the Cavs tomorrow night. Lynette O'Reggio, one of the women's team's top recruits, will be in town for a visit.

O'Reggio is a 6-foot-4 post player from Laurel, Md. A senior at Elizabeth Seton High School in Bladensburg, Md., she lists Virginia and Ohio State as her top two college choices.

The Cavaliers hope O'Reggio will give them their fourth verbal commitment for the 2001-02 season. Virginia has received verbals from 6-1 Jocelyn Logan-Friend and 5-11 Bethany LeSueur. Brandi Teamer, a 6-2 power forward recruited for this season, failed to qualify academically and is prepping now at the Miller School in Albemarle County. She will enroll at Virginia next year.

Warrick backs off

Hakim Warrick, one of a handful of candidates for Virginia's fifth and final 2001-02 men's basketball scholarship, cancelled his scheduled visit to Charlottesville this weekend, recruiting Web site InsidersReport.com reported yesterday.

The 6-8, 185-pound power forward has not eliminated Virginia from his list of schools, but he told the Web site that if he signs early it will not be with the Cavaliers. If he waits until spring to decide, Warrick still may visit Virginia. Providence and Syracuse are reportedly the Pennsylvania native's top choices.

The Cavs, however, might have two other recruits in town this weekend. Forward Jason Clark and point guard Keith Jenifer, both of whom have given Virginia verbal commitments, may be in attendance at 'Hoos in the Hall.