Women's soccer falls at Wake Forest on late goal

Tied at one with less than four minutes left, Wake Forest's Gabi Lieb scored the game-winning goal as the Demon Deacon women's soccer team handed the Cavaliers a deflating 2-1 loss in Winston-Salem last night.

The No. 19 Cavs (7-6, 2-3 ACC) got on the board in the 30th minute, thanks to a goal from senior co-captain Katie Tracy. But Wake's Emily Taggert tied it up in the 64th minute and Lieb gave the unranked Deacons (7-6-1, 2-2) the victory just under 23 minutes later.

Wake Forest 2 - Virginia 1
Cavalier Daily Box Score

Like last year's contest in Charlottesville - which Wake Forest won, 1-0 - last night's game was a defensive struggle. Virginia fired only 10 shots, including just three in the second half, while the Deacs managed just 11.

• Cavalier Daily men's

tennis coverage

• Cavalier Daily women's

soccer coverage

• West Virginia's official athletic site
  •  

The Cavaliers now must regroup tomorrow night against James Madison at 7 p.m. at Klockner Stadium. The Cavs split two matches with the Dukes last season, losing the first match, 2-1, in Harrisonburg, the first loss to JMU in program history.

James Madison forward Beth Burgess came off the bench to score two goals in the last 20 minutes of the game for the come-from-behind victory.

However, the Cavaliers defeated JMU when it mattered with a 3-1 win in the NCAA tournament. Virginia ended the Dukes' season and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen with two goals by striker Angela Hucles.

Vahaly wins ... again

Senior tennis player Brian Vahaly continued his stellar play yesterday, winning two opening round matches at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Men's All-American championships in Stone Mountain, Ga.

Vahaly, an Atlanta native seeded third in the tournament, defeated Pepperdine's Sebastien Graeff in the first round and Minnesota's Harsh Mankad in the second, both in straight sets. Vahaly made the finals last year before losing to Stanford's K.J. Hippensteel.

Huntley Montgomery, Vahaly's doubles partner and fellow senior, lost his first-round singles match to Georgia's Travis Parrott, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, and will now compete in the consolation draw.

Vahaly and Montgomery are seeded seventh in doubles and were scheduled to play last night against Ronald Kloppert and Jean Simon of Texas. The match, however, was postponed until today at 1 p.m.

With his doubles opener moved to this afternoon, Vahaly conceivably could play four matches today. He is scheduled for up to three rounds of doubles and will face No. 15 seed Adam Carey of Tennessee in singles competition.

You booze, you lose

N.C. State men's basketball coach Herb Sendek suspended senior forward Damon Thornton indefinitely after Thornton was arrested by North Carolina police Wednesday for driving while impaired.

Thornton registered a 0.14 blood-alcohol level after backing teammate Damien Wilkins' car through a stop sign and into a parked car.

Thornton, who led the 'Pack in rebounding in each of the last three years, also faces charges of driving without a license, hit-and-run, careless and reckless driving and resisting arrest.

"I have decided that Damon will not participate in any basketball related activities for an indefinite amount of time," Sendek said in a statement. "This decision will best allow him to devote his full attention to this very important matter"