DMB may 'Two Step' to Scott Stadium

If negotiations go smoothly, the Dave Matthews Band could "crash" into Scott Stadium within the next year.

University officials confirmed yesterday that Charlottesville legend Dave Matthews is participating in discussions to perform at Scott Stadium as a part of his 2001 tour schedule, but no contract has been signed, said PK German Chairman Jbeau Lewis.

PK German is a University Programs Council committee that coordinates on-Grounds concerts.

University spokeswoman Louise Dudley said the negotiations began "probably six or eight months ago" and are ongoing.

Both the possible date of the show and the financial agreement between the band and the University are still under negotiation, Dudley said.

The band approached the University about two years ago and asked about the feasibility of performing at Scott Stadium, she said.

But at that time, the two-year-long stadium expansion had just begun, and University officials decided that the site would not be appropriate for such a large event, Dudley said.

The band approached the University again when the stadium project was completed, she said.

Lewis said the band is a top choice for PK German because of its mass appeal.

"I think if you're talking about bands that enjoy popularity across wide spectra of University students, this is pretty much the one you'd turn to," he said. "We hope [the concert] happens."

Some University students echoed that sentiment and said it is high time the band came back to the area where it got its start in the early 1990s.

"I think [having Matthews perform at the University] is a very good thing," third-year College student Marcus Holmes said. "The rumor is that the University has snubbed" the band in the past.

Holmes said a show at the stadium would be an excellent way for the band to begin a possible spring tour, although he expressed concern about how students would obtain tickets for the show.

"I envision people camping out," he said.

First-year Engineering student Paul Otto said he would "absolutely" enjoy a performance by Matthews. "He sells out almost everywhere he goes," Otto said.