Don't vote 'Friends' off primetime isle

DESPITE the numerous Rugby Road fraternity parties and bar crawls on Thursday nights, I live for this particular evening for one reason - NBC's 'Friends.' I tune in every week to hear Phoebe's newest whacked out philosophy and hear Joey hit on another innocent victim, and believe me, if I happen to be out that evening and my VCR malfunctions, no one wants to be around to witness my rage.

Now, an evil force may prevent 'Friends' from continuing to be at the top of the Nielson ratings: CBS's 'Survivor II,' which now competes against 'Friends' during its precious Thurs. 8 p.m. timeslot. While 'Survivor's recent success has made it a television phenomenon, everyone who's anyone has to recognize 'Friends' as the better show. All University students must unite as one to ensure 'Friends' emerges as the deserving victor in this horrific prime time battle.

• href="http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,7541,00.html">News coverage of 'Survivor,'

'Friends' primetime competition

• Recently, critics have claimed 'Friends' has lost all its luster, and they wonder how much longer it can survive with its dedicated fan base.

In the tradition of such great comedies as 'Seinfeld,' these critics firmly believe a show should leave television on a high note, at the height of its popularity, before it becomes dull and pathetic, and therefore suggest that maybe 'Friends'' heyday is over. These critics obviously don't not follow the show avidly, because if they did, they'd realize 'Friends' is still going strong - quite a credit to the writers and actors, considering the show is in its seventh season.

'Friends' is and always has been, since it aired, the quintessential television comedy, and through the years, the show only has gotten better. Who can say they don't see the humor in the romantic relationship between neurotic Monica and jokester Chandler? And just think of the countless members of the female population who have benefited from Joey's famous, "How you doin" line!

'Survivor' also appears to be part of this comedic genre - the problem is that it's supposed to be an action/adventure show. The program's cheesy narrator, Jeff Probst, epitomizes the overly excited, way too energetic game show host.

But the show's absurdity is not simply a result of Probst - it's a result of the stupid lines he has to say and rituals he has to perform. One has to at least give him credit for being able to say, "Fire represents life," with a straight face. The tribal council ritual, with its ceremony of extinguishing the torch of the booted member in an obvious attempt at symbolism, is the silliest thing to ever grace television, especially since the cast members take it so seriously.

Although 'Survivor II' is at the moment quite popular, the premise of the show is bound to get old soon. How many times can viewers watch cast members duke it out for who will win the prized immunity stick? It will just get old.

Another reason for all the hype over 'Survivor' used to be the large sum of money - a million dollars - offered as prize money to the winner. However, as many more game shows, such as 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?' have begun offering just as much money, this no longer qualifies as a reason to be fascinated by the show. The show does take place in a new exotic location, but a change in scenery cannot amuse viewers forever. With the same plot every season, television watchers soon will be bored.

In contrast, 'Friends' has shown that originality and creativity can pay off: The show has been on the air for seven years. Many television viewers feel like the characters are part of their personal lives - that the show's characters truly are their friends.

When the show first aired, people assumed the program was just another television show about beautiful 20-something singles. Yet, 'Friends' has proven it ages gracefully. All the characters are now 30 or older, and viewers still find them charming and entertaining. 'Friends' obviously has staying power.

With 'Friends' filling serious timeslot competition this season, University students, and loyal television fans everywhere, must realize the genius of the show.

No where can you hear such thought-provoking comments: "All of my life, everyone has always told me, 'You're a shoe. You're a shoe, you're a shoe, you're a shoe!' And today I just stopped and I said, 'What if I don't want to be a shoe? What if I wanna be a - a purse, y'know? Or a - a hat!" You can't find wisdom like this just anywhere - it can only be credited to the show's talented cast and crew.

This program is a true television gem and needs to be supported. Oh, and to the 'Survivor' cast: If you really want a million dollars, go visit Regis. The trip is bound to be safer and the action more intriguing.

(Michelle Drucker's column appears Tuesdays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at mdrucker@cavalierdaily.com.)