Student body tied together in ribbons of remembrance

Walking by the Lawn just two days after the infamous terrorist attack, you may have noticed fellow students donning red, white and blue ribbons on shirt pockets and collars. You may have even been offered one of these patriotic symbols without even wondering who or what was behind this show of faith.

But the students who organized this sign of remembrance were not members of one of the many University clubs or organizations on Grounds, but were instead simply a group of friends in Gamma Phi Beta.

"A couple of the girls living in my sorority house decided to start doing it last night, but it's not specifically representing the sorority or anything," said Diane Reynolds, a third-year Education student.

Reynolds said she really cannot take credit for the idea, though.

"One of my roommates lost a family member on Tuesday and this was just something that she really wanted to do," Reynolds said. "We stayed up til about 1 a.m. making the ribbons. It was kind of therapeutic."

And the thoughts and feelings that went into the creation of the ribbons seemed evident to those students wearing them.

"For me, it's just to kind of show that it's not something people should just forget," said Elizabeth Meck, a third-year College student. "And also to honor the people who aren't as lucky as we are right now."

Other students seemed to be trying to express their patriotic support by displaying the ribbon.

"This is a time when we all need to show our support for our country and our leader," said Susie Schasse, a second-year College student.

But no matter what students' personal reasons for wearing the ribbons were, most anyone adorned with the symbol experienced a sense of solidarity.

"I think that what has happened is that is that Tuesday's event affects everyone in some way or another, and this is just a way of pulling us all together," said Shannon Murphy, a third-year Education student.

Reynolds agreed that part of the purpose of the ribbons was to provide a sense of unity for students.

She said that when she went to the Vigil of Concern, the speakers stressed the same ideas - the need to pull people together.

Despite the fact that most students seemed receptive to the idea, there were some who declined.

"More people than I thought have refused," Reynolds said. "I've had about 10 or 12 people say no thanks."

Despite the limited opposition, the ribbons seemed to be immensely popular.

"They were gone in about half an hour," Reynolds said.

And some students seemed immensely appreciative.

"It was kind of neat because some people came by and just said, 'sure I'll take one,' but then others are like 'I was really waiting for someone to do this.' That was really rewarding," Reynolds said.