City police charge man in bank robbery

Charlottesville police charged Linwood Eugene Hughes with the robbery of the Branch Banking and Trust Bank on the corner of Alderman and Ivy roads yesterday, marking the second bank robbery in the area in less than two weeks.

Hughes, 31, entered the BB&T bank shortly before 1 p.m. yesterday afternoon and demanded that the bank tellers fill his bag with a yet undisclosed amount of money, Charlottesville City spokesman Maurice Jones said.

Hughes reportedly was wearing a plaid shirt and a black stocking over his face at the time of the incident.

He did not use a weapon, and none of the employees or customers were injured, but he "made the demands in a very threatening manner," Jones said.

Charlottesville Police Sgt. Don Campbell said investigators were not certain how many people were in the bank at the time of the robbery.

Upon receiving the money, Hughes reportedly fled to the apartment complex located behind the bank, where he discarded his shirt, stocking and the gloves he was wearing.

Campbell said witnesses saw Hughes enter a white Ford Taurus, and the witnesses alerted police to the make of the car and its license plate information.

Police located the car's owner, a friend of Hughes's, and were able to apprehend Hughes in the 1300 block of Grove Street around 2:30, roughly an hour and a half after the robbery occurred, Campbell said.

A traffic officer took Hughes into custody on driving charges, citing he was driving after having been adjudicated as a habitual offender, Jones said.

Campbell said investigators are positive there is no connection between yesterday's incident and a Sept. 20 robbery that occurred at the First Union Bank on Route 29.

Police still are investigating the First Union incident, which took place around 1:15 p.m. Investigators continue to interview individuals for information related to that incident, and Campbell said there are suspects. No arrests had been made in that case as of yesterday.

Witnesses described the individual who robbed the First Union bank as a white male with dark hair and a dark mustache. He is believed to be about 40-45 years old, 5-feet-6 and around 150 pounds.