First Year Players go 'Crazy' for Gershwin

"Crazy For You" has no devastating car crashes or typical scenes of horrific violence used to draw the interest of film or theatergoers. It has no moments of blood curdling horror or soap opera sob stories.

But what First Year Players' production of "Crazy For You" does have is old-fashioned song and dance numbers, and intoxicating ones at that. It is a show full of such energy and spirit that it sucks the viewer right back into the world of Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire and leaves him wishing that spontaneously bursting into song was a regular occurrence.

Much of the enchanting aura that surrounds "Crazy For You" is because of the show tunes featured in it - recognizable and catchy songs by Gershwin. The musical was built around the music that appears in it: Ken Ludwig took most of the songs and the basic plot of an old Gershwin musical called "Crazy Girl" and revamped it, writing a story around the popular tunes heard in the original musical. As the main character, Bobby Child (Ryan Yanovich), struggles to obtain the two things he so desperately wants - a career as a tap dancer and the love of a country girl named Polly (Molly Beilhart) - the audience hears a string of classic Gershwin tunes, like "Someone to Watch Over Me", "Embraceable You" and "I Got Rhythm." Since these songs are so popular, the show seems familiar and enjoyably comfortable, even if one has never seen the musical before.

The fact that "Crazy For You" was written with specific songs already in mind does not imply that the music and plot do not flow smoothly with one another. In fact, the plot and the music go hand in hand. Bobby fails to impress Bela Zangler (Winston Noel), creator of "Zangler's Follies" - a song and dance show - with his tap dancing skills, temporarily crushing his dreams of becoming a star.

Fortunately, when Bobby's job with a bank sends him out to Nevada to close down an old theater, he realizes that he finally has the chance to create his own show - and win the girl of his dreams - by saving the theater.

Since the show basically is set in a theater, it has given the director the opportunity to stage several huge production numbers, including a rousing and creative version of "Slap that Bass." The songs are filled with long dance breaks, giving the cast members a chance to shine and show off their skills.

"The cast members are very enthusiastic and energetic and want to make the dance numbers as big as they possibly can," second-year choreographer Moira Fogarty said. "They have done a wonderful job of learning the steps and have proven that if you have the willingness to do something, you can."

"The show features a lot of fun and exciting jazz music. Combined with the dance-heavy choreography and amazing cast members, the numbers are wonderful," third-year assistant vocal director Lindsay Palmer said.

The enjoyment of the show does not, however, come purely from the song and dance numbers. "Crazy For You" is full of hilarious moments, from drunken antics to slapstick-like bar fights. Especially humorous is the character of Irene (Rachel Bradshaw), Bobby's wannabe fiancee, an uptight control freak who eventually succeeds in winning the heart of, or rather dominating over, villainous saloon owner Lank (Justin Stutler).

Lighter moments also occur as Bobby interacts with his mother and "Follies" producer Zangler. These moments just add to the already happy, almost giddy atmosphere the show creates.

Perhaps most amazing about the show and the organization itself is that it is completely student-run. The cast is comprised solely of first-year students; all other members of FYP, from the artistic to the business staff, are upperclassmen.

"One of the best things about FYP is that it is student-run. It gives you the opportunity to meet, work with and become friends with so many people," said Yanovich. When viewers come to watch "Crazy For You," they are seeing the result of many University students' hard work and dedication."

Producer Lisa Filemyr shares this sentiment about students working together. "A lot of time has gone into this show. It has been amazing to see the show progress from this previous spring to its fruition this week and see all of us come together with one goal. We all have such different talents and yet we have all united to accomplish one goal," she said.

"Crazy For You" will run from Nov. 29 through Dec. 2 in the Student Activities Building at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5 and can be bought on the Lawn all this week. It is a show worth seeing. They've got rhythm and they've certainly got music - who could ask for anything more?