Pack your bags

Not every party begins and ends in Charlottesville - some could lead you to the home of the King.

This year's Third-Year Council Suitcase Party includes raffle prizes, food, entertainment and an all-expense paid trip to Memphis, Tenn.

But more importantly, the event provides University students with the opportunity to benefit United Support: The Community Foundation Against Domestic Violence. All proceeds from the event go to the foundation, helping women pay for the costs associated with leaving a violent partner.

The event will be held this Wednesday night from 7 to 10 in the Alumni Hall Ballroom. Students can purchase tickets on the Lawn until Wednesday or at the door for $5. With the purchase of a ticket, students will receive one raffle ticket. Additional raffle tickets can be purchased at the party.

The party derived its name from the "old days," Third-Year Council Service Chairwoman Kelly Polk said. Attendees would bring a packed suitcase to the party, and the grand-prize winners would go directly to the airport for their vacation.

"We actually give the winners until Friday so they have a little more time to plan," Polk said. "We give them an information packet of fun stuff to do, but it kind of depends if they're 21 or not."

Winners also receive spending money for restaurants and shows.

Peace Frogs Travel donated the trip and is co-sponsoring the event, the theme of which is planes, trains and automobiles.

This is the third year that Third-Year Council has sponsored the event. The first two years, current fourth-year Quincy Kolb won the grand-prize trip, first to New Orleans and then to Boston.

Other raffle prizes this year include gift certificates to local restaurants, a massage, a University rocking chair and tickets to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg.

Junction, a local student band, and several a cappella groups also will perform throughout the night.

Fourth-year Class President Portman Wills and incoming Fourth-year Class President Kemper Steele will emcee the event.

Although Third-Year Council is sponsoring the event, the party is open to students from all years.

United Support, the charity's beneficiary, isn't a conventional or recognized non-profit organization, said Meghan Carroll, advisor to the Third-Year Council.

"It doesn't actually have a building," Carroll said. "It's a network of people in the community that nobody really knows about. A few people got together because they realized there was a need out there."

Because few philanthropies know about United Support, the organization has come to rely on the assistance of Third-Year Council's annual Suitcase Party.

"Everyone should come out," Polk said. "It should be a lot of fun. We have a ton of prizes, great entertainment and food. And you get to support a great cause."

Don't let the same person win for the third year in a row.