Sports in Brief

Former Seminole standout Weinke demoted in Carolina

Former Florida State quarterback Chris Weinke, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2000 after leading the Seminoles to the national championship, has been benched by the Carolina Panthers in favor of backup Rodney Peete.

Weinke holds the Florida State and ACC records for career passing with 9,839 yards and won the Davey O'Brien and Johnny Unitas quarterback trophies in addition to the Heisman. He started 15 games in his rookie season last year as the Panthers went 1-15. He threw for 2,931 yards with 11 touchdowns and 19 interceptions, and his quarterback rating of 62.0 was second-lowest among NFL starters.

Peete, a 14-year veteran, was signed in the spring and has not started a game since Nov. 2, 1998. He missed part of training camp because of a strained knee, the death of his father-in-law and the birth of his third child. Peete will be backed up by Weinke and Randy Fasani, a rookie from Stanford.

Marbury receives sentence, suspension for DUI

Point guard Stephon Marbury of the Phoenix Suns, a former Georgia Tech standout, was suspended for one game by the NBA and sentenced to 10 days in jail after pleading no contest to extreme driving under the influence Friday.

Marbury also agreed to pay a fine and attend alcohol education classes. He will begin his jail sentence Saturday and will miss the Suns' Oct. 30 opener at Seattle. He will match his suspension fine amount with a charitable donation to alcohol abuse and awareness programs.

Marbury was stopped Feb. 8 while driving 25 miles per hour over the speed limit in Scottsdale, Ariz. He registered a blood alcohol level of 0.18, more than twice the legal limit in Arizona. A blood alcohol level of 0.15 is considered extreme DUI.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton