Sports in Brief

Ohio University band to perform at Virginia football game Saturday

The marching band from Ohio University, known as the Marching 110, will entertain fans at Saturday's football game against North Carolina.

The Marching 110, in addition to its regular duties at Ohio University events, has performed for the Cincinnati Bengals, the Cleveland Browns and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. In December, the band is scheduled to perform at Walt Disney World and for the game between the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"The Marching 110 is very entertaining," said Dick Mathias, Virginia athletic ticket manager and Ohio University alumnus. "I think our fans will enjoy their contemporary music coupled with their very physical dancing style."

Williams rumored to have reached new contract with Terrapins

According to the Baltimore Sun, Maryland basketball coach Gary Williams is reportedly close to an agreement on a new contract that will pay him $1.3 million annually. Williams, who coached the Terrapins to the NCAA championship last season, would be under contract through 2009.

Neither Maryland athletic director Debbie Yow nor Williams' attorney, Ron Shapiro, would provide financial details of the new contract. Williams also declined to comment on the status of the negotiations.

Williams' current contract is a seven-year deal signed last season that guarantees him a little more than $1 million per season, plus incentives.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton