City expects high turnout for election

Voters likely will flock to the polls today in greater numbers than usual, partially because of the much-publicized General Obligation Bond referendum, according to Sheri Iachetta, the general registrar with the Charlottesville Voter Registration Office.

By its Oct. 31 deadline, the city Voter Registration Office had received over 300 absentee ballots, twice the number of ballots expected. Based on the "blossoming" of absentee voting, City voter turnout is expected to be around 35 to 40 percent participation, Iachetta said.

Normal Charlottesville voting levels fall between 30 and 35 percent.

Iachetta said she attributed increased voter registration to greater awareness and local interest in the General Obligation Bond issue, which is a proposal that would provide state funding specifically for higher education as well as parks and recreational facilities.

Albemarle County Republicans Chairman Keith Drake said he also foresees "a definite increase [in voter turnout] over four years ago," particularly because of the importance of the bond issue.

Although the largest age group of Charlottesville voters consistently hasbeen between the ages of 50 and 65, there has been a recent push to register college age voters, Iachetta said.

This year the Charlottesville Democratic Committee "identified young voters throughout the city who had become eligible to vote since the last general election," said Russell Perry, co-chairman of the Charlottesville Democratic Committee.

In addition, "the University Democrats have done a tremendous job registering new voters," Perry added.

Both the Charlottesville Democratic Committee and the Albemarle County Republicans have worked for months to get out the vote in today's election.

"We're doing all the stuff we always do," Perry said.

For years the Charlottesville Democratic Committee has worked to identify favorable voters, and within the past two months members have called voters reminding them to vote and offering rides to local polling stations.

Local Republicans similarly have relied on past strategies to encourage voters to get to the polls.

Efforts have included reminders in electronic newsletters and word of mouth, Drake said.

The Charlottesville Voter Registration Office has issued its own message to residents alerting them that voting will take place using eSlate electronic voting systems today.

Trial tested during the City Council elections in May, eSlate machines will be in place at all eight Charlottesville polling stations.

Since Oct. 14, three to four dozen Charlottesville residents have visited the Voter Registration Office to test out the new equipment in preparation for today's voting, Iachetta said.

She said she hopes this measure will help alleviate any concerns local voters have about electronic voting.