Sports in Brief

Club ice hockey sweeps North Carolina

The Virginia club ice hockey team pulled off a sweep of North Carolina this weekend. The Cavaliers cruised to an 18-4 victory on Saturday. Leading the way for the Cavaliers were captain Phil Giampietro with two goals and three assists and first years Pat Kelly, Ian McGuire and Robbie Kelso, all with four points.

On Saturday, Giampietro once again led the way, contributing three goals to a 9-3 win. Larry Kosilla and Brandon Possin each scored three points. U.Va. remains tied with N.C. State for first place with a record of 4-0 in the Atlantic Coast Collegiate Hockey League.

Women's club tennis remains undefeated with win over Duke

The women's club tennis team continued its undefeated season this past Saturday with a win over Duke at home, 10-2. Fourth years Nicole Griglione and Maya Lazarevic, third years Jackie Culver, Jenny Chang and Amy Shipley, second years Shoa Tavassoli and Taylor Sharp and first years Leigh Shoettinger, Mallori Browne, Heather Blish and Jamie Zakkak all had wins to help defeat the Blue Devils.

Also, the team held a tournament over the past several months to determine which players will represent Virginia at the National Club Tennis Tournament in Florida next spring, and Griglione, Culver, Tavassoli, Browne, third year Jessica Rackley, and second year Maria Cristina Murguruza were selected. This year the team's coach, Mel Harris, will make the trip as well. The team is hoping to top its third place showing from last year.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton