Sports in Brief

Volleyball falls to No. 12 North Carolina on road

The Virginia volleyball team dropped a 3-1 (30-27, 30-24, 25-30, 30-24) decision to No. 12 North Carolina on Tuesday at Carmichael Auditorium in Chapel Hill, N.C. The Cavaliers fell to 7-24 overall and 1-14 in the ACC after the loss.

Virginia junior outside hitter Paige Davis notched her 11th double-double of the season with 18 kills and 16 digs, both season highs. Junior middle Shannon Boyle hit .455 to lead the Cavaliers while racking up 16 kills. Senior middle Simona Kuipers had 13 kills, and sophomore middle Alexis Geocaris tallied 10 kills while leading Virginia with five blocks.

Sophomore setter Lily Phillips had a match- and career-high 59 assists to go with 14 digs. Junior libero Whitney Ashcraft added 28 digs to lead both teams.

Sophomore outside hitter Molly Pyles led the Tar Heels with 14 kills. Senior outside hitter Laura Greene notched a double-double with 12 kills and 12 digs.

The Cavaliers finish their ACC regular season on Saturday when they travel to Raleigh to face N.C. State.

Women's soccer to face Dayton in NCAA tournament

The Virginia women's soccer team was selected on Monday to play in the 2002 NCAA tournament. The Cavaliers' first-round game comes against Dayton in Morgantown, W.Va. on Friday. If they win Friday, they will face the winner between West Virginia and Loyola (Md.), also in Morgantown, on Sunday.

The Cavaliers are making their ninth consecutive NCAA appearance and 15th tournament appearance overall. The team reached the national quarterfinals last season before falling to eventual champion Santa Clara.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton