Sports in Brief

Women's soccer advances to third round at NCAAs

The Virginia women's soccer team notched a 1-0 victory over fifth-seeded West Virginia yesterday in rainy Morgantown, W.Va. Junior midfielder Sarah Lane scored the only goal of the game just before halftime to send the Cavaliers on to the next round.

Both teams were unsuccessful offensively in the first half on the muddy field before Lane scored on a deflection off the Mountaineer goalkeeper. Sophomore goalkeeper Anne Abernethy completed her sixth shutout of the year with a season-high six saves, despite facing 14 West Virginia shots in the second half.

Earlier in the weekend, the Cavaliers defeated Dayton 3-2 in their tournament opener. Freshman midfielder Sarah Huffman, senior forward Darci Borski and sophomore forward Lindsay Gusick found the back of the net for the Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers face Penn State, a 2-1 winner over Maryland, in their next game. The game's time and location will be announced at a later date.

Women's cross country takes third at NCAA regionals

The No. 11 Virginia women's cross country team finished in third place at the NCAA Southeast Regional championship Saturday in Greenville, N.C. Freshman Kara Scanlin took 10th place overall with a time of 20 minutes, 29 seconds to lead the Virginia effort. She was named All-Region along with two teammates, senior Dawn Cleary and junior Jane Maxwell in 12th and 14th place, respectively. Sophomore Ashley Seaton and senior Ellen Dwyer rounded out the scoring for the Cavaliers. Virginia finished just behind No. 4 Wake Forest and No. 6 N.C. State in the competition.

The Virginia men finished fourth in the competition, behind No. 19 N.C. State, No. 29 William & Mary and unranked Duke. Junior Andy Filachek led the Cavaliers with a time of 30:39, good for 18th place, followed by sophomore Will Christian in 22nd place. Both were named All-Region.

Virginia Student Aid

Foundation changes name

The Virginia Student Aid Foundation (VSAF) announced Saturday that the organization would change its name to the Virginia Athletics Foundation. The foundation will now expand its role to include the raising of funds to support the day-to-day operation of the athletics department and raise money for future projects. The foundation has raised all grant-in-aid money for Virginia athletes since 1948 through contributions from donors.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton