Virginia players hope to overcome Harper suspension

Over the course of the past two days, the Virginia men's basketball team has begun the difficult task of regrouping following the suspension of sophomore guard Jermaine Harper.

Coach Pete Gillen suspended Harper on Tuesday for a "violation of team rules," according to a statement released yesterday by the Athletic Department.

According to Albemarle County police records, Harper was arrested early Tuesday morning for driving under the influence with a blood alcohol level of .17 percent. His court date is scheduled for Jan. 27.

Harper had previously sat out the Cavaliers' exhibition opener against Big Apple Basketball last Sunday while serving a one-game suspension for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

Gillen announced Harper would be suspended indefinitely from the team and would not practice or play in games during the suspension.

The Cavalier Daily spoke with senior center and team captain Jason Rogers yesterday regarding the incident.

"We're a little disheartened," Rogers said. "We lost one of our family members. We know he's still a great person. He just made a mistake. He has to follow the punishment that was levied. It's the only just thing. Hopefully, he can rejoin us soon."

Harper, a sophomore from Gardena, Calif., was expected to fight for a starting position in the Cavalier backcourt this season. He averaged 5.8 points per game and 1.6 rebounds per game while playing in all 29 games for the Cavaliers last year, starting three of them.

"I think everybody has to step up for the team," Rogers said. "Harp didn't bring one thing, he brought a lot of things to the court. It takes every individual on the team to make up for this."

Several Virginia players will be called upon to take Harper's minutes in the backcourt rotation. Junior Todd Billet, a transfer from Rutgers, and sophomore Keith Jenifer will get the bulk of the playing time at point guard.

Junior Majestic Mapp, who has missed the last two seasons following knee surgery, could see time at the point, but might not be able to play significant minutes.

Two newcomers, freshman Derrick Byars and sophomore junior college transfer Devin Smith, will share minutes at shooting guard. A pair of walk-on freshmen, Billy Campbell and Robert Lodge, could also see playing time in the backcourt.

"Jermaine will be missed in the lineup," Rogers said. "But we have a lot of talented players, and we'll probably use this for a bit of fuel to jog our games, just to know that we're playing for one of our family members who can't be here with us."

While the suspension of a player can alter a team's chemistry and act as a distraction, Rogers is confident the Cavaliers can move past the loss of Harper and concentrate on the games ahead.

"It will unite before it ever destroys," Rogers said. "We're very close as a team. We have good players and good people on the team, and we're going to pull together."