No place for March Madness in time of war

Sometimes it's a scary world that we live in today. Terrorists, snipers, biological weapons and leaders on power trips all have served to escalate international tension and make the citizens of the United States and the world take stock of their lives. Sports fans aren't merely looking forward to the NCAA tournament and whether or not BYU will have to switch brackets. First and foremost on the minds of the nation is the United States' potential war with Iraq. And it's precisely this international unease that should compel Myles Brand, Bud Selig and the rest of the sporting world to postpone their respective events until a later date.

The terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon just a year and a half ago changed the rules regarding both international relations and American affairs. The attacks remain on everyone's mind as the nation prepares for a war that seems more and more inevitable. Frankly, it's difficult for me to comprehend enjoying March Madness while American bombs drop on the Middle East. The thoughts of the country should be with the U.S. military and the citizens of Iraq -- not on whether or not Texas deserved such a high seed.

The sporting world's reaction to the Sept. 11 attacks was beautiful. The attack conjured memories of watershed events in America's past: Pearl Harbor, the JFK assassination, the Gulf War -Eevocative of all, comparable to none. The leaders of baseball and the NFL racked their brains for an appropriate tribute, going through past moments of crisis in an attempt to find some sort of precedent, some sort of answer. Each league decided to shut down for a week and returned to a fan base that was increasingly grateful for the diversion that sports provide.

The Sept. 11 attacks provide the best sort of baseline for the response to war. 9-11 united the nation in a way that it had rarely seen before; the war on Iraq has the potential to divide America just as dramatically. The events of the next week will radically alter the destiny of the United States and the world, much more than anyone's lives will be altered by winning their NCAA Tournament pool.

Sports are one of the defining elements of American culture, and some will argue that postponement of games is a cowardly response to terrorists. But shutting down sports for a week is not bowing to terrorists. On the contrary, it is a show of respect for our own men and women in service of our country. It's time to think of those that were lost in previous international incidents, and those that are next in line to fight the new war.

This is a time for patriotic action, in whatever way is best for each American. For some, it's going to fight to oust Saddam Hussein. For others, it may be a protest march. Both sides are patriotic because they are showing concern for the future of the United States and the world. And while Opening Day and the NCAA Tournament have evolved into American traditions, the possibility of the opening salvo in a war that has deeply divided the country takes precedence over either event, and should take the place of these events in our hearts and minds.

Of course, sports must return after an appropriate period of time. The sporting world has found it necessary to take a backseat following national tragedies; the leaders of the various sports would do well to follow precedent. Sports, as a part of the fabric of our country, carries the responsibility of knowing when to cede the spotlight to other portions of that fabric. And after a respectful period of silence, it is important we resume our lives as they were before, including watching March Madness unfold and taking the day off on Opening Day. But when the seemingly imminent attacks on Iraq take place, we must take a step back from our routine and take time to understand the gravity of our nation's undertaking.