Two injured in garage construction accident

Two workers sustained injuries and broken bones yesterday at the construction site of the new Emmet Street parking garage when a concrete slab fell, according to University Police Sgt. Melissa Fielding.

"About 1:45 today there were two constructions workers on top of a concrete slab that was being lifted by a crane," Fielding said. "The concrete slab holding the employees dropped 20 feet, injuring them."

The problem stemmed from a piece of metal that was already supposed to be welded to the slab, she said.

Fielding could not detail the injuries sustained by the workers, whose names have not yet been released. Both were taken to the University Medical Center.

"All I know about their injuries is that they were transported to the emergency room for treatment," Fielding said.

At the site of the accident, Kurt Gould, an employee with Donley's Construction, Co., shed some light into the nature of the accident.

"Basically, we had an erection error -- very simple," he said.

University Spokesperson Carol Wood offered some details of the events that transpired.

"At about two this afternoon a precast concrete T fell at the parking garage construction site," she said.

Wood added that one worker "immediately was taken to the hospital with back injuries. He was conscious and alert."