Eagles Landing to open behind schedule

The start of school may find some University students without a permanent home. In addition to usual beginning-of-the-semester stress, residents of Eagles Landing will have to cope with an additional move, as the new apartment complex will not open as scheduled.

Students were to start moving in to their one-to-four-bedroom apartments by August 15, said a representative at the company's leasing office.

Due to inclimate weather, the students' housing will not be ready by August 15; instead, the students will be given temporary housing as early as next week until the new apartments are ready. Temporary housing will be provided in another apartment complex, which will provide students the same amenities, minus a washer and dryer, the representative said.

To compensate for any inconvenience, Eagles Landing is offering students three entire months free rent. No rent will be due until November 1.

Eagles Landing is located on 100 Yellowstone Drive, a mile from Grounds.

Collegiate Hall, builders of Eagles Landing, reportedly considered offering to pay the difference in rent between Jefferson Ridge and Eagles Landing, but have now decided to allow students to live rent-free for the first three months.

Students also will be offered assistance moving for a second time in the semester.

Russ Davis, president of the South-Carolina based Collegiate Hall Properties, was not available for comment.

Camden Plaza apartments, located on 14th Street Northwest, is having similar problems, although builders still believe completion by August 22 is possible.

Construction workers are working long days to complete the apartments in time for classes. Students will be contacted in August if the apartments will not be available in time for move in.

Woodard Properties is building the Camden Plaza apartments.

If Camden Plaza is unable to open, students could be housed temporarily in local hotels. This solution has been used at other universities when student housing has been completed behind schedule.

Several hotels near Grounds will not be available for Camden Plaza residents as they house football players during the University's pre-session.

No formal arrangements have been made as of yet, however.

"They have not spoken to us at all as far as I know," said Chris O'Shea, manager at the Courtyard Marriott.