Mirror, mirror on the world

THERE is no better word for uneducated situational compliance than sheer ignorance, especially with matters of race. Yes, we University students all have our own issues and are trying to figure out the issues of diversity in our community. The buzz word of the year on Grounds is diversity, and the debate on what that really means and requires remains heated. However, the University is not far off from being a microcosm of corporate America and, to some detriment, is probably more reflective of the "real world" than is easy to accept. In that, it is important to understand that the actions of an individual are probably going to express the ideas and attitudes of at least a few people.

Thus is the case in Abington, Pennsylvania, where a father's mandate that all black hospital workers be denied access to the delivery room was granted in hopes to best accommodate him. This is exemplary of the sick and twisted mentalities of race that still exist today. Historically, even slaves delivered the children of their masters, but this man does not want black people to be involved in the delivery process of his child because of their skin. If it meant so much to him, he could have requested and privately hired midwives to help him have his child at home. His actions still would have been immoral and dehumanizing, but at least he would not have shown the immense disrespect to walk into a public hospital and make such an outlandish request. Further, the fact that he got his way sends a distinct message that this was somehow an "OK" request as a father.

At the root of the situation, Abington Memorial Hospital felt it was satisfactory to keep black doctors, nurses and workers from entering this couples' room for an extended period of time. That is, it is more important to accommodate the racist mentality of our consumers than to respect the rights of those providing service in an assumed equal opportunity setting. Personally, someone should suggest mandatory diversity training for the hospital administration.

This man's rights were not violated in any way. His views and ideals belong to him, and he is clearly responsible for himself. However, it was not his place to enforce his views in a setting that clearly operated otherwise. He chose to be there, and because no one wanted him to throw a temper tantrum, the hospital adjusted to a racist mentality. What is the worst part about it is that this man most likely does not think that there is anything misconstrued in his thinking and may not ever understand the significance that his situation has for the hospital. Though not obvious at first, this incident offers parallels to the University.

The hospital has indeed apologized to all of its employees, but words are not very sufficient in light of action. It is ridiculous that black employees must now come to work questioning the support of their employer and the value that hospital has in their being. It is horrid to have to be subjected to discriminatory acts and simply be told "sorry." And, if you are a minority student at the University, it is hurtful to constantly hear the voices of peers insisting that the problems with race here are isolated and will work themselves out. They have not, and they will not. But just as this man felt it was all right to make such an asinine request based on his personal feelings, people feel that it is OK to think about culture only from their limited, personal point of reference.

Let's be real. Because no one has taken "credit" for the blackface incident that occurred last fall, no one is to say what intent those people had. Regardless, it was a highly insensitive and ignorant act, reflecting not only upon those who dressed up but also upon every person who tolerated such a disgrace. No one came forth from the parties where the incident happened to discuss who did it, and if you remember the actual pictures, plenty of people at the party posed happily with the Sambo characters. Many groups have claimed that no one intended wrong doing to occur, but it did occur, and ignorance to the fact that this would be offensive is not an excuse for people. If you don't know, then you should find out, and so should everyone.

And though many people would never have the nerve to stalk Daisy Lundy during her campaign last spring, the fact that a person allegedly felt they had the right to attack her reflects the some inkling of what is acceptable in our community. The University, at times, is underestimated in its relation to the bigger picture, but when looking at what is happening in our country, be sure to assess how closely it might be parallel to your own life.

(Amey Adkins column appears Tuesdays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at aadkins@cavalierdaily.com.)