Contributing to the community

EVERY now and again, it is good to take a step back and just reflect upon life and what is really important. With the last rush of midterms over until Thanksgiving and final exams, now is the perfect chance to truly reminisce of how blessed we are here at the University. So everyone, as you read, take a moment to close your eyes, take a deep breath and bask in the wonderful lives we students get to live. Then make a choice this Thanksgiving season to encourage someone else's life that may not have the benefits that we all do.

I readily admit that my sentiment is heightened during the holidays, when the commercial society in which we live always seems to take advantage of every moment to sell us more stuff. Granted, I absolutely love going shopping with my family and spending time together, but it would not be the same for me if we did not give back to the community as a whole. This is something that should definitely be related to the University community. What exactly is our contribution to the Charlottesville community during the holiday season? Though there are supposedly many groups supporting drives and community service, we as a whole do not often come together on one accord for much more than a sports game. This season, though, should be different.

The ties between most University students and the Charlottesville community are not necessarily the strongest. Yet I would like to see the University come together as a whole in our service, particularly during the holiday season when all most people seem to care about is final exams. However, through the months of November and December, we should have a community service drive, highly publicizing the events of organizations for service and other opportunities for students. If more students actually knew of the plethora of activities available, and were highly encouraged to participate, then there is a good chance that they would.

Ideally, service would be done out of deep compassion and caring commitment, but even the most apathetic of students could easily participate in accessible ways. How easy it would be to simply set up regular canned food drops in the different dormitory suites or halls, or consistently encourage students to donate canned food in visible places -- outside of the Root Cellar, for instance. Even prominent cash donation boxes at the bookstore and dining halls would be a great way to encourage students to contribute without requiring long-term commitments. As a university, we as a whole should do more to foster service, even if it only means providing outlets for people to be involved minimally.

It is undoubtedly a little cliche to encourage a boost of service during the holidays, but this is a season of the year where people need encouragement and love the most. Because most organized service programs require commitment from their volunteers to extend beyond the holiday season, the extra hands are not necessarily there to make this time special. Though the efforts of Madison House and other organizations are tremendous and greatly appreciated at the University, there is still a greater need of funds, supplies and manpower in many Charlottesville communities. That is why this season offers an awesome opportunity for the University to get involved and help support efforts to organize more students to do as much as they can to give back to the residents of this beautiful place.

As a community within the Charlottesville community, we should be more open to sharing our gifts more readily -- be it singing at a nursing home, wrapping gifts, collecting and delivering canned goods to shelters or handing out toys at Christmas -- everyone at this University has a small legacy they can leave on the Charlottesville community. We just do not all take the time to consider doing this.

This past weekend, I was privileged enough to be involved with a block party in a lower-income minority community. Though I have regularly served throughout Charlottesville, this weekend made me once again realize how much our student body has to offer the community, particularly the large population of youths who clearly look up to the "cool college kids." It is not always easy to stop and make time for others, and service should be an ongoing event in people's lives. Still, it is so meaningful to make someone else's holiday special too. I cannot imagine not having a meal on Thanksgiving, or presents on Christmas or cake on my birthday. But there are people in the Charlottesville community who have to do so every year.

The point is very simple. It is too easy to become concerned with only our own agendas, and not think outside of ourselves or our immediate circles. I wish that more people knew how gratifying it is to give back from what you have been given. Do not be satisfied in going home and having a great meal. It is time for Thanksgiving. This year, don't let that feeling remain with you -- rather, turn that emotion into deliberate, meaningful action. Take the time to make someone else smile.

(Amey Adkins' column appears Tuesdays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at aadkins@cavalierdaily.com.)