U.Va. black graduation rate highest in peer group

Black students at the University had the top graduation rate among major public institutions for the 10th year in a row, according to a report in the Autumn 2003 Journal of Blacks in Higher Education.

The graduation rate for black students at the University was 85 percent, according to NCAA statistics cited in the report. The data was taken from the entering class of 1996 -- the most recent year for which complete data exists -- and counted all students graduating within six years.

The 85 percent mark is well above the national average of 39 percent and comparable to the University-wide six-year graduation rate of 92 percent.

University Dean of African American Affairs M. Rick Turner attributed the University's strong showing in the report to its holistic approach toward the recruitment, retention and graduation of black students which began over two decades ago under the leadership of then-Virginia Secretary of Education John T. Casteen, III.

"I think we made a commitment a long time ago," Turner said. "We've come to grips that having African-American students makes us a better institution."

Through the Office of African Affairs, first-year black students at the University are paired with upper-class black students who serve as volunteer peer advisors, he said. Other programs, such as the fall and spring flings, help to showcase the University as a welcoming environment to prospective black students.

Casteen, now University president, cited a "highly successful recruiting program that attracts students with willpower and preparation to succeed in rigorous programs" as integral to the achievement of high graduation rates.

Many institutions have tried to emulate the University's success with such initiatives, Turner added.

The report noted that in addition to the University of Virginia, the Universities of Maryland, Michigan and North Carolina all have made a "concerted effort" to recruit black students.

Among similar flagship state Universities, however, the average graduation rate remains low at 37 percent. The University of North Carolina, with a black graduation rate of 66 percent, is second on the list.

The report suggested that lower graduation rates could indicate that colleges are willing to admit black students with academic potential who lack scholastic credentials.

In order to combat nationwide low graduation rates for black students, Turner said stronger primary and secondary education was necessary, in addition to the creation of more support networks and the continuation of affirmative action policies.

Turner also cautioned that recent racial incidents at the University could hurt future recruitment of black students unless positive reinforcement is put in place.

Though first among public institutions, the University tied for 18th overall along with Dartmouth College among both public and private institutions.

Private institutions, which are not required to admit a quota of in-state students and are generally well-endowed, have an advantage over their public counterparts in their flexibility and access to financial resources when it comes to graduating black students, Turner said.