Casteen, students discuss inclement weather closings

With Punxsutawney Phil predicting six more weeks of winter, many students have voiced their concerns about the University's propensity to hold classes even in severe winter weather.

Classes were last canceled Feb. 17 last year when 10 inches of snow buried Charlottesville. Prior to that, classes had not been canceled for winter weather since the early 1980s.

At the Board of Visitor's meeting last Saturday, University President John T. Casteen, III informed the Board of student complaints he had received.

Casteen said five students e-mailed him this winter concerned about the dangers of attending class in the snow and ice.

The e-mails cover a wide range of anxieties, spanning from late buses to personal safety. One alarmed student reported witnessing someone slip on the ice in a parking lot.

"I think people feel very strongly about these things," Casteen told the Board.

Casteen acknowledged the dangers associated with adverse weather, maintaining that faculty members can cancel individual classes in the case of severe weather, a policy that allows faculty to judge the road conditions for themselves.

Student Council President Daisy Lundy said she also fielded student complaints about attending classes in severe weather.

Lundy said she sees some problems with the University's policy. She reported not only hearing multiple testimonies about people who have fallen and sometimes broken bones, but added she has fallen twice herself.

"We are looking into what can be done to ensure student safety is not in jeopardy," Lundy said.

Lundy highlighted the treacherousness of the walkways leading to the Gooch-Dillard and Hereford residence areas. The walkways are steep in many sections and ice makes them nearly impossible to navigate safely, she said.

Leonard Sandridge, executive vice president and chief operating officer, said he considers many factors when deciding whether to close the University.

"Prior to making the decision, we seek input from a number of sources, including the University police, weather advisories, grounds and road crews and representatives from the Medical Center and Provost Office," Sandridge said. "It is our intent to operate the University and provide services except in the most unusual weather situations."