Of humor, grief and bias

COMING back after Spring Break, the CD still was dealing with the aftermath of a Life column by A-J Aronstein published March 2.

Aronstein's piece, though lighthearted and penned without malice, was an unfortunate perpetuation of numerous stereotypes of Jews that should have never been printed in the CD. The column was not anti-Semitic -- Aronstein clearly doesn't harbor hate toward Jews -- but it was in poor taste. A column thoughtfully examining stereotypes of different cultures is OK, but simply listing them as a means for a cheap laugh... not so much. Yes, it is important that we all step back and laugh at ourselves once in awhile, but Aronstein's piece read more like one that was laughing at and not with an oft-maligned culture. Merely listing stereotypes without any consideration as to how and why such stereotypes have developed, and not talking to anyone within or outside of the culture, is careless and lacks imagination (and if he was claiming to speak about Jews with some kind of authoritative voice -- his father was Jewish -- he should have at least spelled Manischevitz right).

Over Spring Break, the Washington Times found the reaction to the article (at that point, four published letters: three negative and one positive) worthy of space in its Metropolitan section. The article, however, was a skimpy item that featured only one comment -- and anonymous at that -- from the "group of readers of the University of Virginia's student newspaper... calling for the dismissal" of Aronstein.

Last week, the Cav Daily published two more letters to add to the four printed the week prior to the break (one negative, one positive). The CD printed an apology the day after the column originally ran and added that text, as well as an explanatory note from the editor-in-chief, to the online version. In the small lead edit apology, the CD maintained that it will "hold all content to higher scrutiny in the future," which is good to know. Retrospective editing is a dangerous practice; preventative responsibility -- that is, deeming something unworthy of print before publication -- is a much wiser habit.

The CD announced last week that it would hold an open forum tomorrow in which the staff will "be discussing coverage policies, how to submit guest viewpoints or letters to the editor, and... answer your questions." The Cav Daily is remedying its mistake prudently. I commend the CD for holding the event, and encourage readers to take advantage of such a forum by attending tomorrow at 7 p.m. in the Newcomb Hall Ballroom. This is a good chance to air opinions as well as learn how and why material makes its way into the pages of the CD.

After the week off, the News staff had to perform perhaps the least favorite and most uncomfortable writing task at the CD: covering the death of a student at the University. Piecing together information about a student's death is no fun, and trying to get comment from grieving family and friends is not something that reporters race to do. Associate Editor Shannon Sturcken assembled details about the death of fourth-year College student Bo Buchanan and wrote a fine piece despite being unable to reach the family for comment (which, admittedly, is unfortunate). Remarks from several friends at the University helped shape for readers a picture of the kind of person Buchanan was: "an amazing leader and role model," "one of our finest and proudest sons" and "an example to us all." Thanks to the News staff for gracefully taking on the task and providing readers with a good portrait of a lost classmate.

Last week, a couple of errors were pointed out by letter writers both to me and the editor. A reader pointed out that the lead to a news article Friday included that very thing that news articles should never include: opinion. The opening read, "If Mr. Jefferson's University were to follow the lead of Brown University and organize a committee to examine its historical ties to slavery, many less talked-about details of its founder's life might be brought to light." The author is suggesting that the University should do something that Brown did, and, plainly put, suggestions should be saved for the Opinion section.

A letter printed Friday concerning an article about the men's basketball team -- "After NCAA snub, Cavs play on" -- rightfully asserted that the Cavs were not snubbed. Winning only six games in a division regardless of its strength is not enough for an invitation to the Big Dance. The article itself points this out when it says that the Cavs fell short of going 7-9, what many analysts believed to be a benchmark of the division for invitation to the tourney. Harboring disappointment over not being included, though a bit irrational, is understandable, but a lead article is not the place to express it. Crying belongs in the columns and straightforward, unbiased news goes in the articles.

Emily Kane can be reached at ombud@cavalierdaily.com.