Twelve alumni back on Capitol Hill

The University maintained a strong presence in Congress after last week's election.

Sen. Christopher Bond, R-Mo., and Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., were reelected last week and are among the seven total University alumni currently serving in the U.S. Senate. Also reelected were five House of Representatives lawmakers.

The other current senators who have graduated from the University's Law School include Sens. John Warner, R-Va., Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., Bill Nelson, D-Fla., George Allen, R-Va., and John Cornyn, R-Texas.

"We're terribly proud of the representation we have in the Senate, and we're very grateful for the time they have given to us along the way," said Dave Ibbeken, executive director of the Law School Foundation.

University graduates serving as senators have returned to the University to speak to students and also have sponsored Law School events in Washington, Ibbeken said.

The Student Legal Forum is working to bring University alumni, including the senators, back to Grounds.

"When the Forum gets alum senators in to speak, it's an opportunity for the student body to hear real-life stories of our distinguished graduates," Student Legal Forum President Thomas Windom said in an e-mail.

Warner spoke at the May 2004 graduation, and Bayh will speak at the Law School's graduation this upcoming May.

Nelson returned to Grounds in 2003 for his reunion and took part in a panel of 1968 graduates.

"He along with five others on the panel made a very fine presentation to our alumni assembled that day," Ibbeken said.

In addition, Law School events held in Washington, including an annual function for alumni at the Capitol, are sponsored by alumni senators.

"This event wouldn't be possible unless one of our senators were to sponsor us," Ibbeken said.

Not only does the University presence in the U.S. Senate offer the perks of distinguished visitors to Grounds and sponsorship in Washington, it reflects positively on the University, Windom said.

"I think it signals that U.Va. Law is a special place and that there is no end to opportunity for all of this school's graduates," Windom said. "That there are several alums in the U.S. Senate proves that our institution deserves its place in the upper echelon of law schools."

In addition to the University alumni retaining their seats in the Senate, the five University graduates returning to their seats in the House in January include Reps. Rick Boucher, D-Va., Rep. Tom Davis, R-Va., Randy Forbes, R-Va., Virgil Goode, R-Va., and Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas.