Testing the patience of the University's black leaders

IN RESPONSE to the closing statements of the Thursday, Feb. 10 lead editorial entitled "Moderate racial rhetoric" I would like to offer a broader perspective on the issue of race relations at the University and the way that race is handled by the Dean of African-American Affairs, M. Rick Turner.

It was stated that "[Dean] Turner has already distinguished himself as a leader for the African-American community; now we need to see him become a leader of race relations for the entire University." To this notion I add that Turner's position was created after strong protest and petitioning of students and leaders of the Black Student Alliance. From the Web page one can read that "established in 1976, it was created with a mission of assisting the University of Virginia with developing a welcoming, supportive environment for African-American students. As a proponent of their interests and needs, the Office's primary responsibility is to promote the active involvement of African-American students in all aspects of the University community. In addition, through its programming and outreach, it enhances the University's sensitivity and awareness of African-American issues, culture, and history." In my eyes, regardless of how controversial his remarks may be, Turneris still doing his job. Black students are welcomed by the OAAA, we are supported by the OAAA and we are encouraged to get involved by leaders in the OAAA.

Furthermore, the University is made aware of our issues, culture and history by the OAAA's programming and lectures given by Turner. Turner is the only person at this University who has the courage -- every time we need him -- to speak out on issues affecting black students, faculty and staff workers. In this case, there is a specific historical perspective which informs his opinions on the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. decision.

Dean David Bynes tried to explain this perspective in his guest column "Standing by truth (Feb. 9)." Writers who have tried to report on this situation have done little more than instigate matters and misrepresent the parties involved as well as their motivations.

By managing the Office of African-American Affairs and by continuing to be outspoken, Turnerfulfils his obligation to help lead the University into the new millennium of multi-cultural "peace and bonding." If there were no black students at University, do you really think this school would be able to maintain its high ranking? The Univeristy is a top institution primarily because of its integration with African Americans in the 70s (I strongly encourage non-believers to research this claim).Black students apply, attend and graduate from here because of the efforts of Turner (and with the support of black admissions officers like Valerie Gregory). Turner certainly does his share, and he cannot be faulted with the shortcomings of the University's racial climate because our climate is a symptom of the institutional racism that lines the fabric of our society, and as we allow it to persist, it becomes everyone's collective fault.

In our world of student self-governance, it is up to students to stop terrorizing each other (Daisy Lundy, Amey Adkins, the incident on Beta Bridge, etc.) for their social and cultural differences.Also, in this situation with the Alphas, we must not weigh too heavily on Turner's personal opinions, however valid they may be. Rather we should seek our own understanding and encourage one another to contribute something insightful to the conversation -- or stay out of it altogether.

It is irrational (and indicative of larger discomfort with traditional black advocacy), that Turner's remarks are always used to support arguments of "counter-productivity." I agree that the new "