Indie Music and Movies at JMU

Since 1997, the arrival of spring has meant more than short skirts and halter tops -- it is also the harbinger of the annual Mid-Atlantic College Radio Conference (MACRoCk for short) at James Madison University. Harrisonburg's answer to Austin's South by Southwest Festival, MACRoCk celebrates college radio by showcasing independent musicians, according to the festival Web site MACRoCk strives to recognize lesser-known bands that are overshadowed within an industry dominated by corporate record labels and commercial bands." Over the past seven years, this goal has been realized through compelling line-ups -- past festivals featured Fugazi, The Faint, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, and The Mountain Goats.

As always, this year's schedule is impressive, with more than 80 bands playing indie rock, hip-hop, americana and hardcore. Notable acts include An Albatross, Circle Takes the Square, Magnolia Electric Co. and Harrisonburg's own Aidan Coughlan. Festival-goers will also hear a number of stellar cover bands at the MACRoCk after-parties Saturday night.

This year's MACRoCk is expanding its role as a venue for new independent film. The Lost Film Festival, a short indie film program, returns after last year's successful MACRoCk debut, and accompanies politically stimulating feature films The Fourth World War and The Weather Underground.

In addition to music and movies, MACRoCk offers invigorating panel discussions and workshops. This Saturday, panels topics range from "Problematizing Hip-Hop and Exploring the Subculture" to "The Empirical Truth About Clear Channel Communications Inc." Exciting workshops include "DJ Skill-share," a how-to lesson in spinning, scratching and mixing, and "Sweat Shop Free Advertising," an hour of guided screen-printing and button-making. "Making Comics and Zines" is the highlight of the weekend's panels with Paul Hornschemeier, a rising graphic novelist recently profiled in Rolling Stone magazine, leading discussion.

MACRoCk wristbands run $15-$25 and are available at JMU's Warren Hall Box Office this Friday and Saturday. For complete band and event listings, visit www.macrock.org.