First-year impressions

Wouldn't it be great to get paid to do what you love? Well, 28 orange-and-blue blooded Wahoos are doing just that: working as summer orientation leaders to show off their beloved University to the incoming first-year class.

The multiple two-day summer orientation sessions serve as the first real college experience for the class of 2009, an occasion that can help define students' opinions about the University. The orientation leaders are there to guide the new students along their way, answering questions and getting them excited for their first semester as Wahoos.

Before the first orientation session began, the leaders attended a training session for a week and a half in which they got to know the ins and outs of the University. Though it consisted of numerous meetings and informative sessions, students said the knowledge they gained was invaluable.

"I'm a U-Guide, so I thought I knew a lot about the school, but I definitely learned a lot of stuff I didn't know," second-year Nursing student Sarah Boschung said.

Fourth-year College student LeQuichea Hairston, who is now a summer orientation leader for the third time, said because the University changes every year, there is always more information for her to gain from the training sessions.

Throughout every student's time at the University, "you learn so much about U.Va., but if I hadn't done this job, I wouldn't know half the things I know," Hairston said.

Orientation leaders even got a tour of the new Observatory Hill dining hall, which they said looks "awesome."

For some, it was only last year that they were newcomers to the University; for others, three years have passed since they first set foot on Grounds for their session.

Fourth-year College student Mia Morgan said she thinks the few fourth-year leaders "have a better perspective of what the 'typical' U.Va. experience is like."

On the other hand, she pointed out that the second-year orientation leaders can identify more closely with the incoming first years.

Reflecting back on their own orientation sessions as incoming first years, leaders said their early experiences are what inspired them to become orientation leaders in the first place.

More specifically, Hairston said it was her own orientation leader that motivated her to become one herself.

"I went through my orientation and I met this [leader] that was amazing, so I wanted to be an orientation leader from that day," she said. "A week into school, maybe two, I researched how to become one. They're the first people you meet at U.Va., so they just seem amazing in themselves."

Boschung went away with similar sentiments from her session, only a year ago.

"I really enjoyed [orientation], and when I went home that last month before school started, the [leaders'] enthusiasm just made me feel excited," she said. "I had a great experience and I was just really excited to give that to others."

Third-year College student Frank Michael Muñoz was inspired by his orientation session in quite a different manner -- he had a horrible time.

After the session was over, "I decided I made the wrong choice in attending U.Va.," Muñoz said. "I didn't feel like I fit in with the other students."

His feelings changed, however, when he came back in the fall for the first semester. Realizing that what happened to him could impact other students as well, he didn't want members of the incoming class to leave their first college experience with the same negative opinions that he did.

"I don't consider myself to be the typical U.Va. guy, and I hope to bring [a different] perspective," Muñoz said. "I love U.Va. now, and I hope I will be able to share my story with the first years so they can realize that U.Va. is really a place where, no matter who they were or what they thought the University was, they could make it what they wanted it to be."

The orientation leaders agreed that their main goals are to get the first years more comfortable and excited about attending the University.

Boschung said she hopes to "allay any fears they might have and then get them excited about the University and encourage them to make the University theirs -- get involved and really make it their home."

From previous experience, Hairston knew the first years would be "nervous about [many things], but you just tell them that it's what you make of it. If ysou want it to be fun, it can be fun."

Hairston, one of only four leaders who decided to return from previous summers to be an orientation leader again, mentioned the advantages of returning.

"It just feels like an extension of what I've done before; it just comes normally now because I've done it like 20 times," Hairston said. "Talking to parents, I love doing it now. I've done it so many times I can almost predict what they're going to say."

She also said the orientation leaders should get more comfortable with the Orientation and New Student Programs staff working at the sessions, which, after three summers, she has come to do herself.

"I go to the [staff] more with the issues now," Hairston said. "I don't question myself when I [suggest] something that could change or could be different -- they value your opinion."

Yet one might wonder how, or why, orientation leaders return to do it all over again. Hairston explained that once you are selected as a summer orientation leader, you can come back the next year if you so desire.

This being Hairston's last summer as an orientation leader, what made her keep coming back for more?

"I love it -- I don't know how to explain it other than that," she said. "I never thought I'd do it three times, but the third time has been the best time, and I'm really sad it's ending."

Morgan, although this is her first and only summer as an orientation leader, knew that she wanted to make the most of her time remaining.

"Because this is my last summer at U.Va., I just wanted to spend it kind of like a turnaround because I'm leaving and the [first years] are coming in," Morgan said. "I want to make sure the people coming in gain the knowledge from the people going out."

Morgan also mentioned she wanted the first years to get the most out of their brief visit to the University so they feel prepared to come back in the fall.

"I wanted to go beyond answering questions about parties and social life and give then something you can't get from a tour," Morgan said. "I want them to leave orientation knowing that U.Va. is a top school, but it's also a fun place to be for the next four years. I know they're expecting all this academic rigor, but there's also a balance between having a good academic standing and a good social experience."

Muñoz advised that the first years be prepared for anything that may come their way during their two days exploring the University.

"Have an open mind and bring a smile," he said.