Miller Center Web site earns national recognition

The Miller Center of Public Affairs' Web site, Whitehousetapes.org, has won distinction from the National Endowment for the Humanities, according to the Center's Director of Development Maurice Jones.

Whitehousetapes.org, run by the Center's Presidential Recordings Program, is among over 100 Web sites that the National Endowment for Humanities has selected as "the best at introducing the humanities to students," PRP Director Timothy Naftali said. The NEH presented the recognition to the Center last week.

Naftali said the recognition "will increase viewership" and appeal to a broader audience, which will help the program achieve the objective of "making the American presidency more accessible."

Whitehousetapes.org provides free downloads and transcripts of the tapes of former Presidents Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon.

The tapes of the former presidents are voice recordings of the conversations held in the Oval Office between the Roosevelt and Nixon administrations. According to Naftali, the site also "reminds us that presidents are human beings."

The PRP began in 1998, and the subsequent Web site was launched in 2002 to help "bring you into the Oval Office" and impress the importance upon Americans to understand their presidents, according to Naftali. PRP has published six books, three on the Kennedy administration and three on the Johnson administration through WW Norton & Company. Six more are forthcoming in the next two years, Recordings Project Assistant Prof. and Webmaster David Coleman said.

The site includes excerpts from the books as well as transcripts and audio of taped conversations inside the Oval Office as they are continually declassified and released by the National Archives. Coleman said he estimates there are nearly 5,000 hours worth of taping.

The NEH's recognition of excellent humanities-related sites began in April of 1997, according to NEH Web site. The site also explains the selection process, which includes a peer review of "college and university faculty as well as master teachers and curriculum specialists" to recognize a Web site.

"It is wonderful," Coleman said. "[It is] a wonderful recognition, and we are proud to be part of the work they are doing."