Honor discusses triviality campaign

The Honor Committee voted Sunday night to allow for the community to request a reversal of the order in which counsels are allowed to speak in closing arguments, a change that could occur at the discretion of the trial chair. The Committee also discussed its ongoing campaign for the triviality clause referendum.

According to the first proposal, during closing arguments the counsel for the community may make a brief rebuttal, provided he or she is given no more total time than the counsel for the accused students was given.

According to the current bylaws, the counsels are allotted five minutes apiece for closing arguments, with the counsel for the accused speaking last.

The proposal was introduced by Vice Chair for Trials Stewart Ackerly, Vice Chair for Services Trevor McFadden, Vice Chair for Investigations Lauren Ross and Vice Chair for Education Randall Warden. It reads, "The Honor System is not designed to give an accused student every conceivable advantage, but it is instead intended for the pursuit of the truth."

The proposal also states that the change would bring the Committee's trial hearings more in line with "concepts and procedures employed by American courts of law."

Ross said this change would allow for juries to have the counsel for community clarify an emotional plea or anything that might have been misconstrued while still allowing the counsel for accused the last word.

"It would also help juries understand facts of situation a little bit better," she said.

The change will also allow the trial chair to allot more than five minutes to the counsel for each party, at his or her discretion.

The proposal passed with 17 members voting in favor and one abstention. It will go into effect beginning with all cases initiated after yesterday, according to Ackerly.

Medical School Rep. Alex Hawkins also briefed the Committee on campaign activities relating to a referendum on the triviality clause currently on the ballot, which would change the word for the third criteria of an Honor offense from "seriousness" to "triviality."

Hawkins said a group of support officers have been e-mailing several groups and passing out pamphlets and buttons at O-Hill and Newcomb.