Visitor died from alcohol intoxication

The death of Cornell student Matthew Pearlstone at the University last week was accidental and due to "alcohol intoxication," according to Arkuie Williams, central district administrator at the chief medical examiner's office in Richmond. Williams did not release Pearlstone's blood alcohol content level.

University Police Capt. Michael Coleman confirmed that University Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding Pearlstone's death.

Aaron Laushway, dean of fraternity and sorority life, said in an e-mail that Sigma Phi Epsilon brothers and other students "are cooperating fully with University, national headquarters and police investigations."

The Cavalier Daily reported earlier this week that sources said Pearlstone visited the SPE fraternity and consumed his own alcohol there on Thursday evening before his death.

Inter-Fraternity Council President Andrew Paradis said the IFC will conduct an investigation if a case is initiated.

Dean of Students Penny Rue said the Center for Alcohol and Substance Education will increase its efforts to educate students following the death, as the incident has brought the dangers of alcohol to students' attention.

Rue noted that while most college students have been well-educated about the dangers of drinking and driving, some may not consider the fact that alcohol alone can kill.

Dr. Joseph Chance, director of general medicine for Student Health, said alcohol can cause death in two ways.

"If you're intoxicated, you don't have a gag reflex, so vomit [can] go into your lungs, and you basically choke on your vomit," Chance said. Alcohol can also "directly cause death by respiratory depression," he added.

Chance said a BAC level of 0.4 has been shown to kill about 50 percent of those who do not regularly consume alcohol. Those who consume alcohol often, however, could reach a BAC level of 0.6 or 0.8 before dying, Chance said.

Chance added that Pearlstone's BAC level may have risen after he stopped drinking and returned to the Cauthen residence hall, as alcohol is not absorbed immediately.

Rue added that students must also view their Resident Advisors as resources when facing alcohol-related problems.

"If the RAs had been involved, they would've been perfectly prepared," Rue said. "They're very well trained"