Protesters to face UJC charges, opt for open trial

University Judiciary Committee Chair Raleigh Anne Blank announced yesterday that an open UJC trial will be held Monday, May 1 at 7 p.m. Living Wage Campaign members said the trial is for the 17 students who staged a sit-in in Madison Hall from April 12 until they were arrested on April 15.

Accused student Kevin Simowitz said each of the 17 student protesters faces charges of violating six of the 12 University Standards of Conduct: numbers 3, 4, 5, 8, 10 and 12.

The charges pertain to unauthorized entry into University facilities; intentional disruption or obstruction of teaching, research, administration, disciplinary procedures, other University activities or activities authorized to take place on University property; unlawful blockage of pedestrian or vehicular traffic; disorderly conduct on University-owned or leased property or at a University-sanctioned function; violation of federal, state or local law and failure to comply with directions of University officials.

Blank explained that a trial for sanction examines the individual character of each accused student. Therefore, in situations in which multiple students are accused of the same offenses, it is possible that students' sanctions may differ.

Simowitz said the charges were first brought forward by fourth-year College student Blake Marvin, while the Dean of Students Office later initiated similar charges.

Both Marvin and Dean of Students Penny Rue said they were not at liberty to comment on the case.

Blank said in most instances in which multiple parties bring charges against a student, a case proceeds with the accusing parties acting as co-intiators.

"We always confer with both of the parties in an effort to make sure the case runs smoothly," Blank said.

Earlier this week, student protester Sean Butterfield expressed concern through a University Democrats online mailing list about the ability of a UJC educator to work with the accused students. The educator assigned to the case, Ezana Teferra, previously expressed his opposition to actions taken by campaign members through the same mailing list, citing lack of organization and accusations against the University administration.

"I find it disturbing that your anger and position on our action fall so far from neutrality," Butterfield wrote. "Do you feel comfortable being involved in this case in an official capacity?"

Teferra explained that he did not know he had been assigned to the case when he sent the e-mails about the campaign, as he had recently left his position on UJC before learning what his next case would have been.

Simowitz said a different educator has been assigned to the case.

Blank explained that educators are typically selected for cases based on their availability. Educators recuse themselves from assigned cases if they know anyone involved. Additionally, members of the UJC can recuse themselves from cases in which they do not feel comfortable participating.

The role of educators is to help convicted students understand their sanctions and how their case will progress following a trial, Blank said.

Educators are trained to be unbiased, Blank added.

Blank said that if UJC members were to become aware of another UJC member's bias during a case, the issue would be dealt with on a situational basis.

"We'd have to look directly at the situation, the case and basically how it plays out," Blank said.

The exact number of tickets for the open trial will not be known until Wednesday, Blank said, as the prosecutors and accused have until then to decide whether they will accept reserved seats for their supporters.

Tickets will be available beginning tomorrow morning.