Center for Politics announces new ACE internship

The Center for Politics recently announced a new internship program designed to match students with local and state politicians.

The Awards for Civic Excellence (ACE) program will be launched this fall with interns being placed in the offices of Del. Rob Bell, R-Albemarle, and City Councilman Dave Norris, according to Ken Stroupe, Youth Leadership Initiative director at the Center.

Stroupe also said the program was made possible by a $20,000 donation given by Politics Prof. Larry Sabato.

"Students in these internships will have a hands-on opportunity to observe policy making at the local and state level and to participate in that process," Assistant Director for Programs Holly Hatcher said.

Hatcher added that the program hopes to eventually expand to other officials such as state senators, county board of supervisors and other delegates and city councilors.

Interested students were allowed to submit applications until Friday. Stroupe said the deadline will be extended if the Center thinks the candidate pool is not "competitive enough."

The internships begin Sept. 5 and last for the fall semester. Interns will be awarded a $1,000 stipend.

Following the launch of the internship component of the program, the Center also plans to offer merit-based awards to middle and high school teachers for the "development of civic engagement across the country," Stroupe added.

Teachers will submit lesson plans for consideration later in the fall.

Bell's legislative assistant, Jo Viglione, said the delegate's office has had many interns from the University.

"I've always enjoyed working with the students and they've made a great contribution to our office and I'm certainly looking forward to working with our new intern," Viglione said.