Delta Tau Delta has charter revoked

The national Delta Tau Delta fraternal organization revoked the charter of its University Beta Iota chapter over the summer, according to a Delta Tau Delta press release made available Tuesday.

The Beta Iota charter was withdrawn after DTD's national Arch Chapter investigated a number of policy violations involving hazing and abuse of alcohol.

One of the primary reasons for the investigation was a hazing incident that occurred during the last school year, DTD national Executive Vice President James Russell confirmed.

Neither former Beta Iota president Kyle Estep nor Russell commented on the details of the incident, though Russell said it was "against both the spirit and the rules of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, in addition to the student code of conduct at the University of Virginia."

The Beta Iota chapter was suspended April 6, according to Russell. The chapter was offered the opportunity to state its case to the Arch Chapter either through documentation or by attending a meeting July 31. The chapter chose not to pursue either of these options.

Estep said his fraternity did not present a case because "it was pretty apparent by that time that it was no longer possible to keep the fraternity going."

Russell said national representatives visit each DTD chapter twice a year and also maintain contact with campus administrators across the country in order to monitor each chapter.

"We were very aware of the challenges this chapter has been having," Russell said.

Aaron Laushway, assistant dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life, said the University was aware that the proceedings were underway.

Inter-Fraternity Council President Andrew Paradis said the IFC also found the University's chapter of DTD guilty of offenses. Confidential sanctions were imposed on the chapter by the IFC, though the charter was revoked shortly thereafter.

Paradis said DTD ceased to be a part of the IFC April 6, because the fraternity was, at that point, no longer recognized by its national organization.

Paradis added that the IFC tries to assist national organizations in cases such as this.

"We can compare notes from the investigation," Paradis said. "Usually the national fraternity is pretty guarded, but we do try to work with them."

Though the chapter was disbanded, members who were considered to be in good status with the national organization were granted alumni status. Estep said "a few" of the chapter's brothers were not offered this privilege.

According to the DTD press release, the Beta Iota house, located at 129 Chancellor Street, will be offered to independent University students as a rental during the 2006-2007 academic year. The local corporation which owns and operates the residence has signed agreements with some former Beta Iota brothers, though "these men will be living in the structure only as students of the University of Virginia and not as members of Delta Tau Delta."

A new chapter of DTD can not be established on Grounds until all current members have graduated, Laushway said.

Russell said DTD intends to return to the University in the future.

"We've had a very positive relationship with the University and the administration before and during this current process," Russell said.