Enrollment in Chinese classes continues to rise

Yesterday the University added a fifth section to CHIN 101, "Elementary Chinese," reflecting how the increased national demand for Chinese language skills has impacted the University.

While the federal government has increased funds for critical languages such as Chinese, some fear the University has not been sufficiently responsive to this added need.

"The whole nation and other schools are experiencing this increase, but the University is behind in terms of improving the program and adding additional sections," said Shu-Chen Chen, Asian and Middle Eastern language coordinator.

President Bush introduced a $114 million plan in January to increase the number of "critical" languages to be taught in schools throughout the United States. Chen said she believes there is room for the University's Language Department to improve.

"Problems still exist because students will be three hours behind because they may have to go by the same syllabus as the other sections," Chen said. "I wish the Dean's Office could have offered a course before this."

The problem with adding additional courses is that more instructors have to be recruited and trained.

"Even in early registration all the classes were full and we had many complaint messages from parents asking why their kid could not get into classes," Chen said.

Third-year College student Laura Hussey said she believes students are motivated to learn Chinese because of the nation's economic growth.

"I think students are seeing it as a more practical language to take because there are growing job opportunities and an increased number of U.S. business in China," Hussey said.

Chen said she believes that a future enrollment increase will be caused by Advanced Placement programs in Chinese starting in 2008.

"Many high school students come to the University on tours and ask me about the University's program and how far our programs can go," Chen said.

She urges these students to be aware of the limitations of foreign language instruction.

"Students can learn a year-round course in eight weeks by changing the program and convincing people that language teaching is a profession," Chen said. "Right now it is viewed as mediocre and second-class. Just because someone can speak the language, that doesn't mean that they can teach it."