IFC reports rise in rush participation

While some students used this weekend to recuperate from the first few days of class, many others braved the inclement weather to participate in the ongoing fraternity and sorority recruitment process.

Charlie Morgan, Inter-Fraternity Council chairman for membership intake, said 674 men are participating in rush this year.

IFC President Andrew Paradis said the number of men participating is up about three percent from last year, noting that the IFC focuses outreach efforts toward those men who "might be on the fence in terms of rush and people who are typically underrepresented."

Courtney Ball, Inter-Sorority Council vice president for recruitment, said 755 women began the rush process. While this number was about the same as last year's, Ball noted that the number of women choosing to continue the rush process after the first few rounds is higher this year than it has been in the past.

Both Paradis and Ball said rush has been going smoothly thus far, though Ball noted that a few houses had to change plans slightly because of yesterday's weather.

Ball said one reason why this year's rush has gone smoothly is the new computer system being used throughout the process.

"I think that's what's made the biggest difference this year," she said, noting that the old system often caused technical problems.

Paradis said there are a number of differences between IFC and ISC rush procedures.

"In fraternity rush, you're not required to see all the houses, you just go to the houses you'd like to go to," he said, also noting that fraternities are allowed to plan a variety of events for rush, while "in sorority rush, all houses have to do the same basic thing every day."

While there are more rules and structure in the ISC rush process, the goal is to "get as many girls as possible" into the sorority system, Ball said.

Participants in ISC rush will receive their bids tonight, while IFC rush will conclude Feb. 4.