Softball: Virginia gears up to battle George Mason

With the end of the regular season in sight and the ACC Tournament looming large on its schedule, the Virginia softball team will aim to steal a doubleheader from George Mason today at home. The games mark the final midweek doubleheader of the season, as Virginia prepares for its final ACC series this weekend at home against Georgia Tech.

The Cavaliers (15-34, 1-17 ACC), were swept out in a series last weekend at Florida State.

Virginia coach Karen Johns said pitching and RBI production are the areas that need the most work.

The team agrees and expressed concern over the mistakes in the Florida State series.

"I think we need to pick up our defense," senior second baseman Elea Crockett said. "We made a lot of mental errors [in the Florida State series]. When we have the chance to make the play, we have to make it."

Offensively, Virginia has been led all year by the bat of freshman first baseman Kelly Haller, who currently holds a .419 batting average. Junior infielder Casey Steffan (.313) and senior designated hitter Brooke Sorber (.303) have both buoyed the offense at times this season, each having batting averages over .300 for the season.

In the circle, however, Virginia has been inconsistent all season. Pitching woes have forced Johns to employ other position players as pitchers at times. Junior Whitney Holstun, listed on the roster as an outfielder, has been a pleasant surprise, garnering a record of 4-5 and a 4.76 ERA. Sophomore Karla Wilburn (6-12, 5.85 ERA), freshman Nicole Koren (0-6, 5.95 ERA) and senior Coty Tolar (5-11, 6.06 ERA) are other pitchers Johns could throw at the Patriots.

Coming off a 1-2 weekend against Towson George Mason (15-30, 1-14 Colonial Athletic Conference) has had its own share of problems to deal with this season.

"They've had their own struggles from the mound and they aren't hitting the ball as well as they probably want to," Johns said. "They've had some of the same problems we've had. So it should be an interesting matchup on Wednesday."

The Patriots come armed with three hitters batting at least .300 in junior first baseman Kristin Dickel (.343), junior second baseman Amanda Bach (.333) and junior catcher Lesley Hassen (.310).

Like Virginia, George Mason also has searched for consistent success in the circle, giving the ball to multiple pitchers. George Mason's pitching artillery includes junior pitcher Arielle Weinkofsky (4-12, 4.03 ERA) and freshman pitcher Becky Anderson (6-13, 4.48 ERA). Sophomores Paige Krystofinski (2-1, 2.69 ERA) and Rachel Hastings (2-4, 5.34 ERA) have also started a combined 14 games.

While the Cavaliers have not faced George Mason yet this season, they do share common opponents in James Madison and Towson. Virginia has fared much better against this pair of teams than George Mason, going 3-0 while the Patriots have gone 1-5.

It is do or die time for the Cavaliers. Preparing for the ACC Tournament is their main goal. Finishing off the season on a positive note would be a strong boost to the Cavaliers as they look towards the ACC Tournament next month.