Sports in Brief

No. 13 Virginia women's rowing goes 11-0 on weekend

Virginia's women's rowing team swept the competition this weekend at the Windermere Real Estate Classic held at Redwood Shores, Calif. Virginia was the only school to go undefeated throughout all of the races in which it competed. Virginia defeated several nationally ranked teams such as No. 8 UCLA and No. 19 Washington. The seven-time defending ACC Champion Cavaliers will now travel to Clemson, S.C. for the ACC Tournament.

Cavaliers women's golf lands in fifth place at ACC Tournament

Despite the rainy conditions, the Virginia women's golf team pulled off a fifth place finish at the ACC Championships held in Charlotte, N.C. The Cavaliers were led by Seniors Leah Wigger and Rachel Smith, who finished fourth and fifth, respectively. Virginia managed a fifth place finish despite the absence of sophomore Jennie Arseneault, who had to remove herself from the tournament due to a back injury.

-- Compiled by Bailey Stephens

Virginia Women's Tennis Falls to Georgia Tech

In its second day of play, the Virginia women's tennis team suffered its second loss to a top-five opponent, falling to Georgia Tech 5-2.

Rain drove the teams indoors to the Boyd Tinsley Courts for the match, which ended the No. 46 Cavaliers' season at 10-10 (4-7 ACC). The No. 4 Yellow Jackets (20-4, 10-1 ACC) played the match for a share of the ACC regular season title, which they share with No. 5 Clemson (18-3, 9-1 ACC) after their victory.

The match was highlighted by sophomore Amanda Rales, who won at the No. 5 spot, and senior Caroline Hammond. Hammond took the victory at the No. 6 spot and with that win broke the record for numbers of singles wins in a senior season at 29 wins. The record was made especially significant due to the fact that yesterday's match fell on senior day and that Hammond is the sole senior.

Virginia enters the ACC Tournament Thursday, when it will face N.C. State at 9 a.m. at the Cary Tennis Center in Cary, N.C.

-- Compiled by Ryan Franklin