New director to lead CUE

Following a nationwide search for a new director of the Center for Undergraduate Excellence, a search committee including faculty members and one student recently settled on a candidate from within the University community.

Lucy Russell, former executive assistant to the provost, said she took the position because it offers an opportunity to work more closely with students.

In addition to her "very good organization and managerial skills," Russell was chosen because "[she has] a passion for the undergraduate experience, research experience of her own -- both abroad and at home -- and a real interest and commitment to making more of these opportunities available to students," said J. Milton Adams, vice provost for academic programs. "She's been here for several years working in another capacity. I think she's going to be absolutely magnificent."

According to Russell, the goals of the Center for Undergraduate Excellence include helping students find research opportunities, apply for scholarships and compete for fellowships such as the Rhodes and Truman scholar awards. Russell, who began her new job two weeks ago, said her responsibilities as director include "overseeing the center and meeting with students and planning for future opportunities and directions."

Formerly a part of the College under Director Nicole Hurd, the Center for Undergraduate Excellence, which is located in the Special Collections Library, now reports directly to the provost's office.

"One of my main goals is to reach a diverse group of students from all of the University schools," Russell said.

Though the center was previously funded entirely through solicitation, it is now "permanently funded for the first time" by the University, Adams said.

Further funds will be raised privately through the Capital Campaign.

"We hope to be expanding the research opportunities, working with the Undergraduate Research Network and raising more money for research awards," Adams added.