Police crack down on student trespassing

University and Charlottesville police have begun stopping students in their tracks when they use the train tracks as a shortcut.

According to Charlottesville Police Sgt. Michael Gore, crossing the railroad track on foot is considered trespassing, and doing so constitutes a misdemeanor.

"It's a small fine if you're found guilty of it," he said.

Gore added, however, that since citations are given at officers' discretion, some offenders may only be given a warning.

There are signs posted intermittently near the tracks that warn people against crossing, he said.

While noting he is not sure if more students have been crossing the tracks recently, Gore said police officers have been more vigilant about stopping trespassers because of complaints.

"It's fairly dangerous for the people to be doing that anyway," he said.

Interim Dean of Students Allen Groves said students should be aware that walking across the tracks can be unsafe, especially if students are intoxicated.

Recent assaults near the railroad tracks and poor lighting in the area poorly combine to create "a highly unsafe place to be putting yourself at risk in," Groves said.

Fourth-year College student Lori Nelson was stopped by a police officer Friday night near the tracks that run between Chancellor Street and Virginia Avenue, but received a warning instead of a citation.

Nelson said she did not know crossing the railroad tracks was illegal before she was stopped and added that she thinks students should be informed of the illegality of crossing and recognize how unsafe it is.

Mark Fletcher, chair of the University Security and General Safety Committee, said he thinks students should use common sense when walking at night.

"I'm not sure a lot of people have to go out of the way to inform students that that's not something you're supposed to do," he said. "I think most students inherently know that you don't cross railroad tracks."

Third-year Architecture Student Danny Eckstein said police gave him a citation in late August behind the Corner, and at that time there weren't any signs up marking no-trespassing territory.

The total fine was $106, which included court fees and the citation.

Eckstein said he thought it was an inefficient way to solve the problem.

"I know it's illegal to walk along railroad tracks, but I had no idea just crossing them would cause this," he said. "If the University [and city are] so concerned with safety, they should put up fences"