Squad squashes competition at national tournament

Walking around Grounds, students see club sports practices all the time, but chances are, you have never stopped to watch the men's club squash team practice off-Grounds at the Albemarle Racquet Club. Although not a mainstream sport, squash holds its own at the University, according to men's club squash president and captain junior Patrick Whelan.

"It's a growing sport," Whelan said. "We have two guys on the team from Atlanta, some from South Carolina and someone from Dubai, so our team is pretty diverse."

Bringing the heat to Harvard

Because squash is not an NCAA sport, competitive college teams are officially part of the College Squash Association. At the end of February, both the Virginia men's and women's club teams went to the CSA Nationals at Harvard University.

Fifty-one of the 66 teams in the CSA competed in the tournament. According to Whelan, the team went to the competition ranked 34th based on matches played throughout the year and left in 33rd.

CSA Nationals is a tournament-style competition, sophomore David Whelan said, in which the Virginia men's team was placed in a division composed of the teams ranked 32 through 40.

"On the last day we beat Colgate, so we were ranked first in our division," he noted.

Patrick Whelan noted that the women's team also won its bracket at nationals.

A team with open arms

Anyone is welcome to be a part of the men's club squash team, according to Patrick Whelan. There are no tryouts or official cuts, but the team takes the best 10 players to matches.

"Anyone who wants to play is free to come out," David Whelan said.

A winter sport, the squash team begins its official twice-a-week team practices in the fall. Team members practice at the Albemarle Racquet Club because on-Grounds facilities do not have courts that are the right dimensions for squash.

Friendship and Solidarity

David Whelan, who played squash competitively at his New York high school, said that he loves that the Virginia club team is managed by students.

"It is completely student-run and it is more relaxed that way," Whelan said.

He added that the opportunity to travel with his teammates also adds to his Virginia squash experience.

"It is very cool to be a part of the team because it is a great group of people," Whelan said. "I like to play squash, and it is great to be able to still do it in a competitive manner and be able to go up to Harvard and play."

Patrick Whelan said there is a sense of camaraderie among the team members because they share an appreciation for and an ability to play a unique sport.

"It has allowed me to meet people I wouldn't hang out with normally," Whelan said. "I've gotten some experience meeting people from all over."

He said the team gets a chance to bond through off-court activities and from all the time they spend together traveling.

"We mix [with] the girls team, and when we go to the national tournament we all stay in the hotel," Whelan said. "We get to know each other pretty well when we go on trips ... It is great hitting the road together"