NCAA hopes hinge on win this weekend

While many University students will spend this Saturday at the Foxfield Races, the men's golf team will be making a last effort to qualify for the NCAA Regional Tournament.

The Cavaliers' chance at qualification will come at the only University-hosted golf tournament this season, the 21st annual Cavalier Classic.

Freshman Will Collins said the team will have to win the classic in order to qualify for the NCAA Regional Tournament.

"Right now, it is the biggest piece," Collins said. "We pretty much have to win to go to Regionals."

Coach Bowen Sargent said he could see in practice this week that the team is getting excited for the Cavalier Classic.

"Obviously there is a lot to play for this week with the NCAA regional bid on the line," Sargent said. "They need a great week so they ought to be excited."

Collins said despite the pressure on them to win the classic, he is excited for the team's opportunity to show the 20 other teams what the host team can do on its golf course.

"I am really excited; everyone is playing pretty well, it seems," Collins said. "And we have a really good shot at playing well."

The team did not perform as well as expected at the ACC Tournament, where it placed ninth out of 11 teams. Collins, the Cavaliers' top finisher, tied for 26th out of 55 golfers.

"We started off this semester really well, but we just didn't come together at ACCs the way we needed to," Collins said. "If we play well this weekend, though, then we've got a good shot at regionals, which is our goal this season."

Sargent said because of the composition of the Virginia team, which features only one senior, the Cavaliers have played inconsistently this season.

"We're a young team, and I think that explains some of the ups and downs that we've been through this year," Sargent said. "Due to our youth, this team is certainly capable and very talented and they just have to put it all together and get focused for what is going to be a very big weekend."

Collins said while the ACC Tournament was a disappointment, the team cannot let that burden bear on this weekend's performance.

"We've been grinding time," Collins said. "It is easy to get tired, but you have to keep working because you know that if you get to regionals, it will be worth it."

Sargent said the team has been preparing at Birdwood Golf Course, Virginia's home course where the classic will be played.

"We're going to play Birdwood more because that is where the tournament is being held," Sargent said. "We're going to actually play golf more and not just practice."

As the team heads into the postseason, Collins said he hopes the team's dedication to its sport above almost all else will pay off.

"We've maybe been to school four days in the past three weeks," Collins said. "It is a big grind at the end of season, and everybody wants to play hard."

Sargent said he is not concerned about winning the tournament; he just wants the team to play its best.

"I don't get too concerned -- all we can do is take care of our business and if we win, we win," Sargent said. "I can't control what other teams do. There is no defense being played, so all you can do is control what you're doing"