Stepping, stomping and celebrating

Step It Up should not be mistaken for a dance team. The organization is dedicated to stepping, an art form that, according to second-year Engineering student Rochelle Upshur, moves beyond conventional forms of dance.

"Step It Up uses stomping, clapping and creating beats to tell a story," said second-year College student Ally Baxter, another member of the organization.

Step It Up is the only non-Greek associated step team on Grounds and was founded four years ago.

"Step It Up's sole mission is to celebrate the art of stepping through teaching and learning routines," Upshur said.

Members of Step It Up gather at Slaughter Recreation Center Mondays and North Grounds Recreation Center Wednesdays to work on step routines and learn new choreography. Even though the group chooses a head choreographer for the year, members of the team are encouraged to bring their own choreography to the team as well.

Upshur said when the group is not practicing steps at the gym, it is performing around Grounds with various other University organizations at events such as Take Back the Night, Bike to Uganda, Springfest and Spring Fling.

In honor of Black History Month, Step It Up holds an annual event in which different University groups come together to advance diversity and culture through song, dance, step, drama and spoken word. Step provides a platform for this celebration of black history because though step is popularly associated with Greek organizations, Upshur explained that it was inspired by African dance.

"We try to be as active in the University community as possible in order to teach people about step," Upshur said. "A lot of people don't know much about it."

Upshur explained that one common misconception about step is that it is a form of dance. She said rather than dancing to a song, steppers make their own beats and skits.

"Step is a type of movement in which different parts of stomping and clapping come together to produce a visually pleasing result," Baxter said.

While step may be enjoyable to watch, members of Step It Up agree that stepping is also rewarding for them in many ways.

"There are many benefits to step," Upshur said. "It's a great workout. You sweat a lot, but it's a lot of fun. It's about team dynamic and unity. You get to meet people and hang out together."

Although synchronizing movements and staying on the beat may sound challenging to some, the members of Step It Up encourage anyone to get involved, Upshur said, reassuring prospective members that experience is not required.

"Some of our members had never stepped before they joined Step It Up," Upshur said. "Our group is open to anyone if they are willing to learn."

Fourth-year College student Yasmina Mrabet said the most challenging aspect of being a part of the group is the time commitment rather than the physical activity, adding that while the commitment is demanding, "it's fun."

Another important component of Step It Up's identity, Upshur said, is its diversity.

"Our group consists of first- through fourth-years, black and white, boys and girls," she said.

Looking to include many different perspectives, races and ages in the group, Upshur said Step It Up holds at least two meetings for students interested in step at the beginning of each semester. Shortly after the interest meetings, the group holds tryouts, after which the group's executive board makes selections, she said.

Mrabet, who is the team's oldest member, knew she wanted to be involved with Step It Up since her first year at the University.

"I didn't want to dance," she said. "I wanted to do something different. I had seen step done but had never stepped before. It was something new for me."

Other members, such as Upshur, joined the group with a background in step. Upshur began stepping during her freshman year of high school after watching her friends perform.

"I had previous hand-eye coordination skills from playing softball and I thought it would do me justice in step," she said. "What attracted me to it is the fact that is was exciting and different and wasn't in strict regimen like softball."

This excitement that surrounds the close-knit group, however, extends beyond stepping practice; members of Step It Up describe the organization as more than simply a group of steppers.

"Being a part of Step It Up has allowed me to be a part of a team," Mrabet said. "Through the organization, I have been involved in community service and University events while doing something that I enjoy. I have also made friends who enjoy it as well."

Baxter also noted that Step It Up is a close-knit group.

"Step It Up is a very good network," she said. "Through it, I have come to depend on and know the other members. They are a great group of people beyond step."

In the future, Upshur said, Step It Up plans to remain an active group on Grounds.

"Our goal is to remain a positive force in the University community," she said.