Cavaliers extend winning streak to four to open year

Virginia wins two games over the weekend, defeating Vermont and Old Dominion

If you wanted to see a dominating performance by a Virginia sports team this weekend, University Hall Turf Field was the place to be. The Virginia women’s field hockey team put on two spectacular performances this weekend, extending its season-opening winning streak to four.
In doing so, Virginia avenged last season’s 3-1 loss to the Monarchs. The Cavaliers’ victory against No. 8 Old Dominion 2-0 Sunday marked the first time they had won in the last 12 games between the two schools. Despite ODU’s higher ranking, the Cavaliers were not intimidated; Virginia came out firing on all cylinders, playing most of the first half on the Monarchs’ side of the field.
“[Coach Michele Madison] said there was no pressure on us.” freshman midfielder Paige Selenski said. “She just gave us a bit of confidence (and told us) that we were the better team.”
In the second half, however, it was the freshman tandem of Selenski and freshman midfielder Michelle Vittese who stole the show. Once again the youngsters electrified the crowd, each contributing a goal to the winning effort.
“It was just one of those things where someone had to break the ice,” Madison said. “We were getting the opportunities, so once you get the opportunities the possibility is there and they just had to take the shot.”
Sophomore goalkeeper Devon Burnley and senior goalkeeper Amy Desjadon were once again unstoppable forces. Their defense was stellar, only allowing one shot while recording their second shutout of the season.
The Cavaliers had another impressive showing against Vermont Friday, downing the Catamounts 7-2 with the highest goal tally in Madison’s tenure. The Cavaliers got on the board first with a goal by senior midfielder Inge Kaars Sijpesteijn — her first of the season. Junior forward Traci Ragukas and Vittese recorded two goals each, and Freshman back Floor Vogels notched her first goal of the season.
“It’s not about the scoreboard; it’s about what we are doing on the field and we are just trying to make that better,” Madison said. “The season is long and there are so many areas we have to get better at, and today was just another opportunity to improve.”
The Cavaliers looked like one of the best teams in the country after their showings over the weekend. After Virginia’s performance against ODU Sunday, the Cavaliers are sure to be on everyone’s radar.
The Cavaliers take their undefeated record on the road and leave the friendly confines of University Hall Turf Field this Wednesday when they face in-state rival and powerhouse No.7 James Madison University. Despite the upcoming challenge, the Cavaliers’ record thus far has demonstrated the team’s potential.
“It just shows that our team is built up of a lot of really strong players,” Selenski said. “We all work together real well; we make each other look good.”